World of Warcraft announces Legion expansion with Demon Hunter class, Broken Isles continent; beta this year
The liveblog is after the cut. Here are the highlights!
Blizzard has just announced World of Warcraft’s next expansion: Legion. Blizzard’s Tom Chilton says that the initial video is “connecting tissue” between Warlords of Draenor and the next expansion. It shows Gul’dan is setting up the events in the next expansion. Spoilers: It’s Illidan. Here’s what the trailer and presentation promises for Legion:
- New continent: Broken Isles
- New Demon Hunter class for Night Elves and Blood Elves with a unique experience akin to the Death Knight’s; it has two specs, one for DPS and one for tanking
- Raised level to 110
- New dungeons and raids
- New PvP honor system with a PvP talent tree of sorts that reduces levels’ importance in PvP (it’s a bit like GW2 or FFXIV)
- Artifact weapons (it’s like LotRO’s LIs + an awesome customization tree), along with weapon visual customization
- Class “order halls”
- The “biggest demonic invasion of Azeroth ever”
- Titans are involved; so is the Emerald Dream (but it’s a raid)
- Dalaran is coming back as the main hub (hell yeah!)
- Beta begins this year! No release date was given.
- The official site will be here: http://us.battle.net/wow/legion/
Blizzard promises that the lore lead-up to the new expansion will take place in the game prior to its launch. Eliot’s whole liveblog with more info is down in the comments!
From before the stream…
Well, dear readers, it’s that time again, the time for the announcement of a new World of Warcraft expansion. Are you excited? Are you just hoping, possibly against hope, that this will be a step up after the most recent expansion? Are you a bit peckish? Are you worried that thing on your shoulder has gotten infected? Do you think I’ve been playing a bit too much of The Stanley Parable lately? Please, there are no wrong answers.
Yes, there’s an announcement today, I’ll be liveblogging it in the comments whilst Bree keeps this post updated with big news. Expect commentary, laughs, thrills, and hopefully we’ll all learn something along the way. The title, for example; I don’t relish the thought of referring to the title as “Unnamed WoW Expansion Number Six” for the next three years.
And here are the trailers!