The MOP Up: RuneScape’s big anniversary plans (December 20, 2015)
The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
- Dota 2: The popular MOBA released its Balance of Power update this past week, containing the Arc Warden hero, a desert map for custom games, changes to the main maps, and more.
- Ever, Jane: Closed beta patch 3 is here and brings with it better optimization and fixes for a shepherding quest and the decorate room UI button.
- Avabel Online: This mobile MMO has released its winter update, complete with seven new classes, 29 additional skills, and more ways for players to communicate with each other. [Source: Press release]
- Paladins: Closed beta patch 10 is here, and with it it brings constructed decks, ragdoll deaths, and so many fixes that it’ll make your eyes cross. [Thanks to Sorenthaz for the tip!]
Events and Contests
- Path of Exile: Win yourself one of four brand-new Alienware gaming machines or a stash tab bundle by hunting down Rigwald in the challenge leagues. [Thanks to Pepperzine for the tip!]
Odds and Ends
- RuneScape: Jagex says that next year’s 15th anniversary will be huge for the game. Some of the stuff coming include the launch of the Chronicle card game, a quest designed by the original founders, a new game client, the invention skill, a new continent for Old School RuneScape and a feature-length documentary about the franchise. [Source: press release]
- Valve: A French consumer rights group is suing the Steam maker over terms in its subscriber agreement that it says violate French law.
- More Valve plus Blizzard: The two studios ran into a roadblock in their quest to sue a company for copycatting characters.
- Aion: Speaking of Steam, Aion EU is now available through the digital platform. Gameforge is encouraging players to try out the Asmodian race by giving them free gold packs when they hit level 8 on such a character. [Source: Press release]
- Skyforge: Kill-Death Ratio is out for the game’s PvP scene, and PvP ratings are in! The devs penned a post explaining how the new system works for rating players, encouraging groups to work together as a unified team instead of self-seeking glory hogs.
- DayZ: The team wrote up a post expressing thanks for its supportive community and touting its accomplishments as the title has hit its second anniversary on Steam early access.
- Star Conflict: A new dev blog introduces the newest class of ships coming to the game, destroyers. Are you going to fly one of these bad boys?
- Wizard101: A producer’s letter looks back at all of the design decisions for Polaris as well as all of the new stuff that came in the fall.
World of Warships will be including anime-inspired ships from the series Arpeggio of Blue Steel -Ars Nova- that can be played in a special mode. Anime and warships? It can work, and we’ve got the video to prove it:
Dofus is spreading holiday cheer with a special seasonal event. While this video’s in French, you’ll probably be able to figure out the key elements anyway.
Is it too early to start getting hyped about next year’s E3? Perhaps, but here’s a new trailer for it anyway. E3 2016 will take place from June 14th through the 16th at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
Season 2 has landed for Elsword Online. What does it contain? These moving pictures and recorded audio will inform you!
Continuing with Elsword, here’s the results of the “Playing with Fire” community contest. Players created videos to go with Elsword’s new theme song. Check out the winners!
The upcoming Labyrinth of Druids has already released its official soundtrack, created by dark-folk duo Nemuer. You can listen to the 12-minute preview below, and if you like it, you can also pick up a copy of the OST on iTunes and Bandcamp.