Betawatch: Das Tal becomes The Exiled (August 19, 2016)
There’s a certain risk involved in changing your game’s name after people have already gotten used to a name. After all, people might not know about your new name and just keep asking about what happened to the old name, never knowing what happened. On that note, it’s important to make it clear that The Exiled is the game formerly known as Das Tal, so if you’re wondering what ever happened with the latter… that’s what. It changed names.
Most of the beta world was a little quiet this week on account of Gamescom, but there’s still some interesting stuff to chew upon. Behold!
- Seventh Dark has kicked off its open beta in Japan, useful for those of you living in Japan, with fluent Japanese, or just people who prefer menus and game text in an incomprehensible language. No word on what happened to the other six darks, though.
- The open beta for Paragon has begun on both the PC and the PS4. Xbox One players are invited to make sad faces, possibly pawing at the window of friends playing the game on another platform.
- AdventureQuest 3D is hoping to launch its Android beta test next week while its testing hums along nicely.
- LawBreakers has gone back into development after some alpha testing, so that all of the feedback and player data can be understood and used to make a better game. A better version of the existing game, to be specific; if you don’t like the game, they’re not heading back and making something totally different.
- Last but not least, Project Gorgon is heading into early access “soon.” How soon is soon? Not now, but not five years from now. Somewhere in the middle!
As always, there’s a list of games down below. Check it out! Let us know if something slipped into a different testing phase without us noticing! Tell us how great our new shirts look! We spent a lot of money on those.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Closed beta, open beta planned soon
Albion Online: Closed beta, final test starts August 1st
Boundless: Donor alpha
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Children of Ur: Open alpha
Crossout: Closed beta
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Eleven: Closed alpha
Eternal Crusade: Early access play on Steam
Ever, Jane: Closed beta
Fragmented: Closed backer beta
Gigantic: Closed beta
Gloria Victis: Early Access on Steam
H1Z1: Paid early access, split into two games
HeroWarz: Closed beta
HEX: Unofficial open beta
LawBreakers: Closed alpha
Life is Feudal: Early access beta
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
Master x Master: Alpha test
MyDream: Closed testing open to donors
Origins of Malu: Development suspended
Otherland: Early access
Paladins: Closed beta
Paragon: Open beta
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
Shards Online: Pre-alpha
SkySaga: Ongoing NA and UK alpha events
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Stash: Backer alpha
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Culling: Early access testing
The Exiled: Ongoing alpha tests, summer alpha currently active; formerly Das Tal
The Repopulation: Alpha offline, moving to the Unreal engine, survival spinoff Fragmented in early access
Tree of Life: Open beta
Tribal Wars 2: Open testing
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Twin Saga: Closed beta, launching in August
Valiance Online: Pre-alpha testing
World of Warcraft: Legion: Closed beta, launching August 30th