This week in MMO crowdfunding news, refunds continue for
, which was Hero's Song canceled the day after Christmas with the promise to reimburse all those who backed the game through Indiegogo or on Steam early access. A new Indiegogo announcement from John Smedley yesterday says that Pixelmage has finished processing all pending requests -- manually -- and will soon begin mailing checks. "On the PayPal front we're awaiting having our PayPal account authorized to do this," he writes, suggesting that will be resolved early next week.
Meanwhile, take note, future MMO devs:
If our readers are any indication, Kickstarter is probably not going to be your ticket to cash in 2017.
Read on for more on what's up with MMO crowdfunding over the last few weeks and the regular roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we've got our eye on!
VIDEO Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- Camelot Unchained is back to business as usual following the holiday break. Mark Jacobs reports that two tests are being performed this weekend with some of the game's backers, with…
Camelot Unchained starts the year with a pair of weekend tests
- Let's face it, no matter how careful you are with your inventory in AdventureQuest 3D, you are going to run out of space. It's a universal law of MMOs. You…
AdventureQuest 3D patches in bank functionality
- For quite some time, players in Elite: Dangerous have been finding... oddities. Odd structures on planetary surfaces. Odd bits, here and there. They were obviously hinting at something out in…
First contact has occurred in Elite: Dangerous
- Last April, we reported that the indie MMO Origins of Malu was suspending development as it sought investors to help fund the project. Since then, there has been movement on…
Origins of Malu proclaims 'we are not dead,' downgrades from an MMORPG
- Back in November, Crowfall studio ArtCraft joined Indiegogo's fledgling equity crowdfunding platform, which makes use of brand-new laws that allow non-accredited investors to invest in start-ups online. This is indeed investment,…
Crowfall reaches a funding stretch goal and aims for one last target
- What ever happened to Crowfall's stretch goal for a QA lead? The answer is nothing happened to it; it's still a goal for the future, but at the moment the…
Crowfall answers player questions on server size and QA work
- Just one month ago, we learned of the existence of yet another City of Heroes spinoff project: Ship of Heroes. And it's literally a ship -- the premise is that…
Ship of Heroes demos Apotheosis City in new video
- So what is Ashes of Creation meant to be? Is it supposed to be more of a sandbox, more of a themepark, what? The answer is "a bit of both,"…
Ashes of Creation outlines its reactive player-driven nodes
- "We wanted to take some time to day and talk about the process, how lore is actually made for a video game, since that's not a part of a video…
Star Citizen talks about the process of creating lore
- Inventory woes in AdventureQuest 3D might not be going away anytime soon, but they should be lessening come next week's patch thanks to the new bank vault. In a preview…
AdventureQuest 3D previews its new bank vault
- A lot has happened in the past year for Albion Online. Yes, the game is still in its test phase, but it's a test phase that's adding lots of new…
Albion Online looks at the year in review and the year to come
- Crowfall isn't wasting any time in claiming dominance over 2017. ArtCraft's J. Todd Coleman said that, "2017 is going to be our year, I feel it!" in the team's January…
Crowfall team says 2017 is 'gonna be our year,' shows off the Templar
- We're counting down Massively OP's weirdest MMORPG stories of 2016! And the #1 weirdest MMORPG story of 2016 is... ... that time when Richard Garriott sold his blood for Shroud…
Massively OP's Weirdest MMORPG Stories of 2016: Richard Garriott's Blood Art
- Star Wars: The Old Republic isn't the only sci-fi MMO that is paying tribute to the late Carrie Fisher this month. Following community entreaties to memorialize the Star Wars actress,…
Elite Dangerous is creating a Carrie Fisher outpost in memory
- Massively OP's end-of-the-year awards continue today with our blooper award for Best Skill in Project Gorgon, as proposed by MOP reader Agemyth. And the winner is... Literally Dying Project Gorgon took home…
Massively OP's 2016 Blooper Awards: Best Skill in Project Gorgon
- In case you forgot or weren't aware, this time last year, Chronicles of Elyria was basically four devs in a basement who were being bankrolled entirely by the project founder's…
Chronicles of Elyria has raised $2 million to date
- Would you like some PvP in your PvP? Then you should keep tabs on EverFeud, an in-development title that's creating a highly competitive environment in a fantasy world. Arenas and…
EverFeud is being 'built by PvPers for PvPers'
- I backed only one Kickstarter in 2016: Hero's Song, which you'll recall didn't fund. While I'm generally suspicious of Kickstarter and have regretted a couple of my donations, I can't…
The Daily Grind: Will you Kickstart any video games in 2017?
- It's rare that there is a holiday event that Massively OP's MJ doesn't like, and there's nothing like experiencing one for the very first time. That's exactly the holiday treat…
The Stream Team: Fun times in AdventureQuest 3D's Frost Labyrinth
- As Hero's Song transitions into Hero's Swan Song following this week's announcement of the game and studio shutdown, John Smedley and Pixelmage Games are encouraging backers to take advantage of…
Hero's Song wants you to take your money back
- Crowdfunded superhero MMORPG Valiance Online has a new video out this week featuring the city of San Cielo. "This is a work-in-progress for our Alpha test and not necessarily the…
Valiance Online demos the city of San Cielo
- The "biggest update ever" for Gloria Victis has finally arrived, welcoming brand-new character models that should make the game look better than before. This is the 34th update since the game…
Gloria Victis brings out new character models
- Shroud of the Avatar is planning to hit the ground running in 2017, sprinting right on to the full launch of the game. The good news is that there isn't…
Shroud of the Avatar is in the final stretch before launch
- Mark their words: 2017 is due to be a major year for Worlds Adrift. Now that the alpha NDA is lifted, the ball is rolling faster toward early access, which…
A 'new chapter' is coming next year for Worlds Adrift
- Pixelmage Games, the indie studio headed up by MMO veteran John Smedley, announced today that it is folding up, which means Hero's Song is coming to an end. "It's with…
Smed has canceled Hero's Song, offers everyone refunds
- Just before the holiday weekend, Cloud Imperium announced that both Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are using Lumberyard, Amazon’s robust game engine, and in fact have done so for "more…
Here's why Star Citizen is using Lumberyard - and why CIG waited to tell us Crowfall Q&A
VIDEO Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we're watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) - 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful. Work continues.
(Artix Entertainment) - Raised AdventureQuest 3D 368k; hit open beta in October.
( Antraxx Team Antraxx) - Kickstarter canceled.
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) - Successful KS. Fully launched 2016. (
Camelot Unchained City State) - Kickstarter successful; open donations/packages.
Caribbean Conquest (Invenio) - Kickstarter canceled (site offline).
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) - Kickstarter win, open packages, Indiegogo crowdfunding ongoing.
(Soulbound) - Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful, open packages.
( Citadel of Sorcery MMO Magic, Inc.) - Open donations.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media) - Successful KS; launch planned for fall 2018.
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios) - Successful KS.
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) - Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter over, donor preorder packs.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) - Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) - Kickstarter funded, now has donor platform.
( Eco Strange Loop Games)
(Huckleberry Games) - Edengrad Kickstarter funded; now in pre-alpha.
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) - Funded and launched.
(Eleon) - Empyrion Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) - Now in open beta.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) - Open donations, no end date; in early access.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) - Abandoned, multiple times now.
(Crate Entertainment) - Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
( Guns of Icarus Muse) - Funded and launched.
( Hero's Song Pixelmage) - KS canceled; Indiegogo. Production canceled w/ refunds.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) - Successful Kickstarter, now playable.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended.
( LUX Chimera) - Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) - Midair Kickstarter successful.
(Mizar Games) Nebula Online Kickstarter canceled; launched in November.
( Neo's Land NeoJac Entertainment) - Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Hydrant Games) - Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) - Open donations, no end date.
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) - Doom, mostly.
(Craneballs) - Successful Planet Nomads Kickstarter.
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game) - Kickstarted in three tries. . Indiegogo ends Dec
( Pumpkin Online Monique)
(Stephen Nichols) - Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
( The Repopulation Above & Beyond Technologies) - In middle of engine do-over.
(Darewise) - ROKH Kickstarter canceled; early access delayed to 2017.
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) - Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) - Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
( Shadow's Kiss Clockwork Throne) - Ongoing Patreon.
( Shards Online Citadel Studios) - alpha planned for Jan 13 2017.
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) - Successful KS. Final wipe/soft launch July 2016.
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) - Ongoing donations/packages.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) - In middle of year-long revamp after funding surge.
(NeuronHaze) - Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017. Ship of Heroes video