Betawatch: The Repopulation changes hands (January 20, 2017)
The good news for fans of The Repopulation is that the game is coming back online. The bad news is... well, it's completely changed hands, with Idea Fabrik (owners of the Hero Engine) taking the game and making it their own. Will it be as good as it could have been? Will it release and be stable? We just don't know right now. But it's coming back. The owners are also starting just by bringing the alpha back online, lest you expect a whole new game out of the gate.
And there's more beta news! Oh, boy, is there ever more beta news.
- Wild Terra is hosting a free weekend for everyone, which is perfect if you want to test the game but wish to do so without having to pay for it up-front. The testing is open until January 24th. It's also looking into implementing some anti-grind measures.
- You'll be able to test MU Legend again on February 21st through February 28th, with a focus on improved localization. There will also be no data wiped from the first closed beta, so you can just jump in where you left off.
- Pathfinder Online had a state of the game letter that alludes to sending the game off to another studio for further development, which is possibly good news after the game's anemic and near-disastrous development up to now. Assuming, of course, that this is not a euphemism like sending a dog to a nice farm family.
- Early access for The Exiled will start on February 23rd, thus allowing everyone to buy in and play the game. That means a live game that's always available, rather than one with limited windows.
- The third closed beta for Revelation Online has begun, with plenty of new content included and a promotion asking you to spend a bunch of money to get more money.
And yes, there's a list, and it's just below. Did we miss something in there? Let us know down in the comments. Do you want to share your opinions on this week's beta news? Do so in the comments. Sharing feelings about betas? That's what the comment section is for, folks, don't let us stop you.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it's running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it's usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called "open beta" soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Open beta
Albion Online: Closed beta will last well into 2017
Boundless: Donor alpha
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Children of Ur: Open alpha
Cloud Pirates: Closed beta
Crossout: Closed beta
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Eleven: Closed alpha
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Fragmented: Early access
Gigantic: Open beta
Gloria Victis: Early Access on Steam
H1Z1: Paid early access, split into two games
HEX: Unofficial open beta
LawBreakers: Closed alpha
Life is Feudal: Closed beta
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
Master x Master: Alpha test
Mu Legend: Closed beta
MyDream: Closed testing open to donors
Origins of Malu: Development moving forward on battleground experience, MMO suspended
Osiris: New Dawn: Early access
Paladins: Closed beta
Paragon: Open beta
Pathfinder Online: Subscription "early enrollment"
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
Revelation Online: Closed beta
SamuTale: Closed alpha
Shards Online: Pre-alpha
SkySaga: Ongoing NA and UK alpha events
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Stash: Backer alpha
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Culling: Early access testing
The Exiled: Closed alpha, early access on February 23rd; formerly Das Tal
The Repopulation: Ownership changed, testing reopens Q1 2017
Tree of Life: Open beta
Tribal Wars 2: Open testing
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Valiance Online: Alpha testing
Wild Terra: Steam early access
Worlds Adrift: Early access planned for Q1 2017