The MOP Up: FFXIV’s triple world records (February 26, 2017)
The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
This week we have stories and videos from Dragon Nest 2, Vainglory, Wild Terra, Heroes and Generals, Overwatch, Armored Warfare, Blade and Soul, Cloud Pirates, Pokemon Go, Eternal Crusade, Final Fantasy XIV, and Elsword, all waiting for you after the break!
New Games and Testing
- Cloud Pirates: Learn about how you can upgrade your ship’s weapons from zero to hero in this dev blog!
- Wild Terra: The team posted a list of desired (but not promised!) features that it wants to add this year, including emotes, skill taming, trade, and “corrupted lands.”
- Pokémon Go: There was another round of move balances for this mobile ARG. Also, keep an eye out for Pikachu Parties going on right now through March 6th.
- Heroes and Generals: There’s an interesting cross-promotion going on between this game and the movie Hacksaw Ridge, so you can check out Steam to see if you’d like to get the film and DLC for a discounted price.
Odds and Ends
- Final Fantasy XIV: This beloved MMO now has a trio of Guiness World Records under its belt: longest end credits in an MMO game, most original pieces of music in a video game (at 384), and as part of the most prolific roleplaying game series.
- Eternal Crusade: This month’s Humble Bundle, which contained Eternal Crusade, raised an impressive $6.73 million, partially thanks to the bundle’s pro-immigrant charity stance.
- Blade and Soul: Could there be an SEA publisher deal in the works for this fantasy game? A job posting indicates that this might indeed happen.
- Overwatch: Game Director Jeff Kaplan talks about how the team has worked hard to include a sense of open-mindedness and inclusivity into its characters and backstories. Also, the Overwatch League is officially coming in Q3 2017!
- Vainglory: The team released a toolkit for community members to use to create their own game-related apps. Are you in?
Elsword has a third job path for Ain, and boy wait until you see what it is. Actually, we’re not quite sure what it is, other than it presumably involves a lot of the kicking of heinies.
Armored Warfare is bringing out a new map with Update 0.19: the Chemical Plant. As you might assume, this is a highly industrialized map with storage tanks, buildings, and even a railway.
Steparu has a look at Dragon Nest 2’s closed beta, including character creation and gameplay. Check it out: