This week in MMO crowdfunding,
resurfaced this weekend with good and bad news. Paizo’s Lisa Stevens tells fans that efforts and research into selling the game to a large MMO company to finish weren’t fruitful. While consultants said the game might appeal to a more indie developer, ultimately they recommended Paizo finish the game itself, which the studio is doing, putting together a one-year timeline to polish the title for “open enrollment.” Pathfinder Online
We’ve also got a new online multiplayer space sim cooking (thanks, Crow!). The game is
, and it describes itself as “ Starfighter, Inc. Counter-Strike meets World of Warships in Space.” It’s about a third of the way to its $150,000 US goal with 27 days yet to go.
Meanwhile, we checked out the newly revived
, Repopulation suffered controversy over its monarchy allotment, Chronicles of Elyria got a new patch, Grim Dawn began open testing, Wild Terra delayed its alpha, we spoke to Dual Universe team about its name and design changes, Legends of Aria’s Kickstarter funded for over 200% its original ask, OrbusVR’s announced it’ll seek $400,00 in crowdfunds, and Ship of Heroes gave a clear view of its level development. It’s been an incredibly big week for crowdfunded MMOs! Star Citizen
Read on for more on what’s up with MMO crowdfunding over the last week and the regular roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’ve got our eye on.
Elite + science = win
VIDEO Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- While it's certainly tempting to focus on Camelot Unchained's progress in creating weeds (or as the devs put it, "the unsung heroes of the grass plains"), the star of this…
Camelot Unchained shows off its weapon stances
- If you decided to eschew the purchase of a reasonably priced car in favor of buying your way to a pretend throne in a video game, you would probably want…
Chronicles of Elyria limits how many $10,000 monarchs will rule over its lands
- If you'd lost hope in Pathfinder Online ever making any forward motion again, you should be happy to see that there's a new letter from Paizo CEO Lisa Stevens. You…
Pathfinder Online has a roadmap forward and a plan for completion
- Following a year of open beta testing, the cross-platform AdventureQuest 3D will launch on October 13th, 2017. Just prior to that launch, however, the team is planning on "one final…
AdventureQuest 3D will launch this October after a mega-patch
- Now that Life is Feudal has turned on the power to its closed beta program, more players than ever before are getting to see what this medieval sandbox MMO looks…
Life is Feudal is shaping up to be a fine-looking MMO
- It's definitely been a long, long time since Massively OP's MJ has played The Repopulation, but that's that's not on her! The game had gone offline, but has now resurfaced…
The Stream Team: The Repopulation has resurfaced
- As Albion Online barrels toward a summer release, the crew took to Reddit yesterday for a marathon AMA session to tackle any pressing community questions. Asked how much work an…
You’ll need to put in about 20 hours in Albion Online to become competitive in PvP
- Following what turned out to be an intriguing Ten for the Chairman earlier this week, Cloud Imperium has released a Star Citizen Around the Verse episode that -- our tipster summed it…
Star Citizen’s level design is coming along much faster than you probably thought
- [AL:POE]Path of Exile just keeps getting bigger and bigger in terms of both players and team size, and it's actually providing the numbers to back it up. A press release…
2013 MMOARPG Path of Exile hit peak concurrency in March thanks to its latest patch
- It is important to note that the official Eternal Crusade line is that the upcoming free-to-play option is not a full conversion to free-to-play, and that's largely accurate. Free players…
Eternal Crusade prepares for its free-to-play shift
- It's no secret that Pantheon and Kickstarter haven't had the best of relationships, what with the game's crowdfunding campaign failing to fund back in the day. But Brad McQuaid is willing…
Pantheon attempts to woo the Kickstarter community with its progress
- Crowfall's campaign worlds won't exist merely to be shot, burned, and sliced to ribbons. There's going to be a healthy building component as well, which is something that ArtCraft is…
Crowfall’s community tries its hand at building for the first time
- Star Citizen's Chris Roberts and Tony Zurovec teamed up to field backer questions on a new round of Ten for the Chairman this week. This episode is at least in…
Star Citizen’s Ten for the Chairman basically describes Tramp Freighters Online
- Sandbox Interactive ran an AMA for its in-development indie MMO Albion Online on Reddit last night, covering everything from the game's business model to how players in far-flung locations fare…
Albion Online AMA on pay-to-win, free trials, and global servers
- If you've somehow missed it in every single discussion of Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen's design philosophy, the game is very much a throwback to the older days of MMOs.…
Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen has a brand-new wiki
- Ship of Heroes has a new video out today that is ostensibly a network demo showing off half a dozen remote developers spread across the country testing out 16 characters…
Ship of Heroes salutes City of Heroes in its network demo video
- It might not have been everyone's ideal scenario, but the fact is that The Repopulation has come back under new management -- and you can access the game once more.…
The Repopulation is back up and running
- Construction continues apace at Shroud of the Avatar, where the team reports that two new areas are being crafted for future releases. There's the Sepent's Spine Mines, a Kobold-infested underground…
Shroud of the Avatar’s Starr Long on the pros and cons of early access
- It's an undeniable fact that Bards are flat-out awesome, and soon they'll be bringing their musical magic to the alpha of Project Gorgon. The dev team announced that the Bard…
Project Gorgon teases the musical Bard skill
- You're going to have to wait a little while longer to see a playable version of Dual Universe, as the team announced last Friday that it will be delaying the…
Dual Universe announces alpha delay
- Indie superhero MMO Ship of Heroes has just announced the details of its planned Kickstarter campaign, which was previously noted to begin on April 4th: The crowdfunding event will run…
Ship of Heroes will seek $400,000 in Kickstarter funding
- Big changes for MMOs frequently involve giving up almost as much as you gain. Not so with Legends of Aria, the not-actually-new title from Citadel Studios. Legends of Aria is…
PAX East 2017: Citadel Studios on Shards Online’s switch to Legends of Aria
- OrbusVR, the blocky indie VR sandbox from Ad Alternum, has finished out its Kickstarter successfully this morning. The studio had originally promised a brief, one-week Kickstarter with only a $10,000…
OrbusVR has fully funded on Kickstarter
- I admit to my weakness: Despite years and years of games using it again and again, I still enjoy the simple gameplay benefits of jumping between ledges. I like parkour.…
PAX East 2017: Jumping and climbing through Chronicles of Elyria’s pre-alpha
- Did someone say story? AQ3D recently released its big Ashfall update, the game's first big story-driven saga, and you know Massively OP's MJ is all about the story! She's excited…
The Stream Team: An AQ3D afternoon with Artix in Ashfall Starfighter, Inc. Kickstarter pitch
Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful. Work continues.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised AdventureQuest 3D 368k; beta began Oct 2016.
( Antraxx Team Antraxx) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Successful KS. Fully launched 2016. (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Kickstarter successful; open donations/packages.
( Caribbean Conquest Invenio) – First KS canceled, second ended unsuccessfully.
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Kickstarter win, open packages, Indiegogo crowdfunding ongoing.
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful, open packages.
( Citadel of Sorcery MMO Magic, Inc.) – Open donations.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media) – Successful KS; launch planned for fall 2018.
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios) – Successful KS.
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter over, donor preorder packs.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter funded, now has donor platform. Alpha delayed.
( Eco Strange Loop Games) – Funded, now in alpha.
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded; now in pre-alpha.
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrion Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date; in early access.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, multiple times now.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage) – KS canceled; Indiegogo. Canceled w/ refunds.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) – Funded and launched.
( Legends of Aria Citadel Studios) – Kickstarted as Shards Online. Currently in alpha.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended. Currently in beta.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Maestros of the Anthymn String Theory) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Infinity Online Studios) – Mekria Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
(Mizar Games) Nebula Online Kickstarter canceled; launched in November.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Ad Alternum) – OrbusVR KS funded March 2017.
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations, no end date.
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) – Doom, mostly.
(Craneballs) – Successful Planet Nomads Kickstarter.
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game) – Kickstarted in three tries + Indiegogo. In alpha.
( Pumpkin Online Monique) – Downgrading from MMORPG.
(Fairytale Distillery) – fka Das Tal; 2015 The Exiled KS unsuccesful. In Steam early access.
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
(Idea Fabrik) – Kickstarted twice by A&B. Alpha relaunch March 2017. The Repopulation
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; early access delayed to 2017.
(Tarhead Studio) – Kickstarter ends March 9. RUiN
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon.
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Successful KS. Soft launch July 2016.
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – In middle of year-long revamp after funding surge.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017. Grim Dawn