Betawatch: Secret World Legends is a very different game, probably (April 7, 2017)
If you were hoping that Secret World Legends was essentially just The Secret World, well, you were wrong. You were told that you were wrong when it was announced, but the first round of leaks have been coming out of the beta, and they paint a very different picture of the game. Of course, it’s still early enough in testing that fans are cautioned not to see anything therein as final, so… take all of that with a grain of salt, naturally.
And yes, there is other beta news! That’s not a secret. It’s a known fact.
- Crowfall is offering players the option to customize skill loadouts. That’s new and it’s a real thing, unlike the development team’s recent round of answers for things which do not currently exist.
- The Morrowind expansion for The Elder Scrolls Online has a closed beta on the game’s test servers. Essentially, you can only be invited to test the expansion content, but everyone gets to test the patch itself. It’s a bit odd.
- If you want some drops in Albion Online, you’re going to need to make them yourself. Yes, there are plans for a system to ensure that even drops are made by players. Also a bit odd, but sort of cool.
- There are two factions in Escape from Tarkov, but there’s also a third… well, not a faction, per se, but scavengers can run around and screw things up for everyone regardless of affiliation.
- The latest update for Worlds Adrift doesn’t just make the game flow better, it makes it taste better. Metaphorically, anyhow. If you lick the part of your hard drive where the game is stored, you… actually, just don’t do that. Don’t even think about that.
- Last but not least, Edengrad has launched into Early Access. That’s not odd at all! Just straightforward.
You know what comes next: I mention that there’s a list of games in testing below, I implore you to let us know if something jumped test phases, I sit and cry with four pounds of crispy bacon. I don’t actually eat the bacon, I just cry next to it. Also, I’m hoping by this point you’ve stopped reading. The best secrets are out in plain sight.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Open beta
Albion Online: Closed beta, launching July 17th
Boundless: Donor alpha
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Children of Ur: Open alpha
Cloud Pirates: Early access
Crossout: Closed beta
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Edengrad: Early access
Eleven: Closed alpha
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Fragmented: Early access
Gigantic: Open beta
Gloria Victis: Early Access on Steam
H1Z1: Paid early access, split into two games
HEX: Unofficial open beta
LawBreakers: Closed beta weekend coming in March
Legends of Aria: Alpha, formerly known as Shards Online
Life is Feudal: Closed beta
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
Master x Master: Alpha test
Mu Legend: Closed beta
MyDream: Closed testing open to donors
Origins of Malu: Development moving forward on battleground experience, MMO suspended
Osiris: New Dawn: Early access
Paladins: Closed beta
Paragon: Open beta
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
SamuTale: Closed alpha
Secret World Legends: Closed beta
SkySaga: Ongoing NA and UK alpha events
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Stash: Backer alpha
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Culling: Early access testing
The Exiled: Early access; formerly Das Tal
The Repopulation: Alpha resumes March 12th
Tree of Life: Open beta
Tribal Wars 2: Open testing
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Valiance Online: Alpha testing
Wild Terra: Steam early access
Worlds Adrift: Early access planned for Q1 2017