The MOP Up: Life is Feudal’s building sim (May 14, 2017)
The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
This week we have stories and videos from MapleStory, Heroes of the Storm, Ingress, Wurm Online, DCUO, Hellion, Life is Feudal, Skyforge, Overwatch, H1Z1, Final Fantasy XI, all waiting for you after the break!
New Games and Testing
- Life is Feudal: One of the non-MMO spin-offs, Forest Village, will be launching on May 26th. Players can build their own little village utopia and see if they can keep it running. [Source: press release]
- Hellion: A small patch for this survival sim rearranged some station designs, made the game more stabile, and cleaned up messes that players left behind.
- Final Fantasy XI: This MMO’s busy retirement continues with a new update that adds another part of the Escutcheon questline.
- DC Universe Online: A very small hotfix addressed some powersets, primarily fire.
Events and Contests
- H1Z1: The studio is now testing its Hosted Games Program. “From shared social experiences to competitive scrimmages, this program, once fully launched, aims to provide our players with the structure and tools to bring communities together.”
- Skyforge: The winners of the game’s most recent screenshot contest were announced. Pretty pictures!
- Ingress: Operation Portal Recon is a go, and all you need to do is be a level 16 Agent or higher! [Thanks Nordavind!]
- MapleStory: There’s an interesting crossover event going on between this game and a Japanese novel series called Re:Zero.
Odds and Ends
- H1Z1: The Just Survive team got a new senior game designer in Quentin Cobb, who previously worked at Naughty Dog.
- Marvel Games: This new studio has a lot of unannounced projects in the making. We’ve reached out to Gazillion to see if there are any crossovers or impact with Marvel Heroes.
- Overwatch: The internet vengeance mob turned nasty against an Overwatch player after another person deliberately lied to get him in trouble. Meanwhile, Blizzard talked about how the team balances the heroes’ different strengths and weaknesses.
- Nielson Report: A study on gaming trends finds that, yup, we’re playing more than we used to and that the industry is poised for success. “The continued growth of eSports and the excitement and investment in virtual and augmented reality, along with the increasing prevalence of downloadable content, expansion packs and full digital games, only underline the buoyancy of the industry in 2017.”
- Heroes of the Storm: If you love anime, then why haven’t you gotten these hero skins yet?
Watch the next installment of the series that’s documenting how Ultima Online is being rebuilt in Wurm Online: