The MOP Up: PlayerUnknown’s Battleground and the fog of war (September 17, 2017)
The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
Maybe you’ll discover a new game in this space — or be reminded of an old favorite! This week we have stories and videos from The Black Death, Astroneer, Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, Tree of Life, War Thunder, Elder Scrolls Online, Hearthstone, Worlds Adrift, Arena of Valor, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, Neverwinter, Ragnarok Mobile, Rappelz, Master X Master, Splatoon 2, Skyforge, Travian, and Final Fantasy XI, all waiting for you after the break!
New Games and Testing
- Arena of Valor: This 5v5 MOBA is working its way to a release on the Nintendo Switch later this year!
- Astroneer: A small update added some items, made adjustments to tethers, and included new controls.
- The Black Death: Get an update on the development of this morbid survival sandbox.
- Final Fantasy XI: Yup, another quest was added to this retired game. Maybe it’s time to come out of retirement? Just a suggestion.
- Rappelz: Take on a hellish dungeon in the Trials of Devildom. Scariest instance name ever.
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds: September’s patch brings in foggy weather, a new town called Kameshki, and another gun. Things keep looking up for this team shooter whose creator didn’t think would sell more than 300K units.
- Tree of Life: The new skin system is now in place, so go nuts with looking as crazy as you wanna be. [Thanks Two Tridents!]
Odds and Ends
- Splatoon 2: Splatoon. Chicken McNuggets. McDonalds. We have no idea what’s going on here, but it’s got weirdness sauce slathered all over it.
- Pokemon Go: Digital overlays and graphics are the least important parts of alternate reality games, or so Niantic says.
- The Future of MMOs: Tune in to this panel at EGX on September 21st with Worlds Adrift’s Bossa Studios and Bill Roper!
- Elder Scrolls Online: Meet the Telvanni mage, Divayth Fyr, who’s hanging out in the Clockwork City DLC and can’t wait to become besties.
Heroes of the Storm has some big plans ahead, including the Volskaya map and the addition of two new Overwatch heroes:
War Thunder is celebrating the Battle of Britain Day and putting a spotlight on the spitfire:
How will you ever prove your ultimate Hearthstone geek cred to your friends and coworkers? Here’s one idea:
Neverwinter’s Tomb of Annihilation patch is now available for Xbox One and PlayStation 4:
Ragnarok Mobile has an idle leveling system so that you never have to play it and it can entertain itself. Or so we are assuming:
Take a closer look at Master X Master’s Titus, a healer and cleanser with a big ol’ book, and also make sure to read up on why Patch 1.3 makes this game friendlier than ever to newbies:
Travian’s Fire and Sand campaign is finally here, and you can get pumped up with this trailer: