This week in MMO crowdfunding, the much-anticipated indie sci-fi sandbox
dropped a starship-load of tutorials on ship construction, the interface, territory, and more. They’re aimed at folks in the pre-alpha, another weekend of which kick off earlier today – it’s a nice chunk of backers, if the activity graph posted to Twitter earlier is any judge. (Cheers, Cotic!) Dual Universe
launched on PS4, HEX confirmed it’s still granting refunds but isn’t launching Star Citizen this year, S42 wrapped up its alpha, and Legends of Aria launched a new trial program. Albion Online
Read on for more on what’s up with MMO crowdfunding over the last couple of weeks and the regular roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’re following.
Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- Have that urge to explore the wild galactic yonder? Here's a potential candidate to steal your time in the future called Freeman: Star Edge. Billing itself as a "mash-up of…
Freeman: Star Edge is a slick-looking space sim that might go multiplayer
- Let's just get this out of the way upfront: There are 25 serious issues still on the docket before Star Citizen's alpha 3.0 moves from Evocati testers to the next…
Star Citizen: Around the Verse, alpha 3.0 bugs, and the state of refunds
- It's a productive era for the Camelot Unchained, as the team has reduced testing in order to "buckle down and focus" on development projects. One of these is a new…
Camelot Unchained adds a post office messaging system
- Following a flurry of blog posts, its PAX West appearance, and its crowdfunding campaign, Ashes of Creation has gone downright silent this fall. It's probably more fair to label it…
Ashes of Creation shows new images, talks about its ‘mini-Sim City’ design
- Great ready to pay more for Chronicles of Elyria. Soulbound Studios announced this week that it is preparing to raise the prices on all of its packages, a move that…
Chronicles of Elyria begins price increases in preparation of pre-alpha releases
- Interface junkies, gather round, especially if you like detailed old-school-inspired MMORPGs, for Project Gorgon has unveiled a detailed tour of its new UI. It's been "written to take advantage of…
Project Gorgon’s huge UI revamp is a ‘major stepping stone’ toward Steam early access
- Crowfall isn't content to make gathering as dull and repetitive as in other MMOs, which is why the team is putting great stock in its so-called "action harvesting." This system…
Crowfall demos more action harvesting, starts taking guild name reservations
- It's time for Legends of Aria to say farewell to alpha once and for good. The fantasy MMO wrapped up its so-called final alpha test over the weekend and turned…
Legends of Aria wraps up final alpha test
- With all of the many spaceships designed (and sold) for Star Citizen so far, it might be a little confusing which might be the best for any particular person or…
Star Citizen helps players find the right spaceship for them
- If last week's rumors about a new trial version in Albion Online had you excited, good news for you: It's actually happening and in fact is already in place as…
Albion Online’s new trial is a referral system that costs the referrer in-game gold
- Can a game that isn't even in alpha yet have a Halloween celebration? Heck yes it can, Intrepid Studios says, and it has one such planned for Ashes of Creation,…
Ashes of Creation is hosting a virtual costume ball for Halloween
- All right, let's be honest, you probably didn't actually think that Star Citizen's much-delayed single-player Squadron 42 was coming out this year. Around this time last year, it was confirmed…
No, Squadron 42 isn’t going to release this year
- While it still continues on that long road to launch, Shroud of the Avatar is using some of its development time and resources to help those in need outside of…
Shroud of the Avatar sells toilets and wheelchairs for charity
- Has enough time gone by to start erasing memories of Revival, that ambitious but troubled horror MMO that was canceled back in March 2016? While the project is dead, its…
Chronicles of Elyria picks up former Revival lead developer
- It's sacrilege to say it, I'm sure, but I never loved lightning powers in City of Heroes - lightning wasn't much of a damage element, instead being focused around sapping…
Ship of Heroes reveals its Lightning Blast powerset with a new video
- A diverse smattering of projects kept the Camelot Unchained team busy this past week, per the game's newsletter report. It sounds as though players will have to earn their sea…
Camelot Unchained builds boats for beta
- This past weekend was not the first time I have attended a developer's convention, but Frontier Expo 2017 was one of only a very few times when I have been able…
Frontier Expo 2017: Science, history, and gaming make for a great first con
- The MOP team tricked me into taking this post. They promised me gnomes. They aren't gnomes at all. They're halflings! We're talking, of course, about Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen,…
Pantheon’s halflings are more like Peter Pan’s Lost Boys than Tolkien’s hobbits
- As a spiritual successor to City of Heroes, there's an obvious line through City of Titans when it comes to powers. That does not, however, mean that the game is…
City of Titans outlines power set design for the game
- On this week's edition of Star Citizen's Around the Verse, Sandi Gardiner does a happy dance as Chris Roberts updates viewers on how Evocati testing of the 3.0 alpha is…
Star Citizen’s Around the Verse isolates 23 more 3.0 alpha bugs, details immersive cockpits
- Over the past month or so, Crowfall has been steadfastly working its way through the list of the dozen races that will be available during the game's remaining testing and…
Crowfall wraps up its launch lineup with the Centaur, Minotaur, and Guinecean races
- Something evil and sinister has awakened in Legends of Aria, but that is actually pretty exciting news for alpha testers seeking new challenges and content to conquer. Wednesday's alpha patch…
Legends of Aria awakens something nasty during its final alpha
- Crate Entertainment has this week launched a huge expansion for its madly popular multiplayer OARPG Grim Dawn. Ashes of Malmouth is live now and runs $17.99 on Steam (the base…
Grim Dawn’s ‘massive’ Ashes of Malmouth expansion has launched on Steam
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail forever gave us the perfect test for whether or not someone is the king: see if he's got fecal matter all over him. Presumably,…
Chronicles of Elyria unveils its official launch kingdoms
- Quietly zipping along this fall is City of Heroes spiritual successor Ship of Heroes, which has been running a small external alpha test with backers focused on its character creator…
Ship of Heroes has finished up its first character creator alpha – here’s what you built
- OK, so C-3PO isn't really being imported into Shroud of the Avatar, but the game's new automaton sure looks a lot like him (minus his silver leg!). He's one of the…
C-3PO lookalike joins Shroud of the Avatar in release 47
- When I spoke to Elite Dangerous' devs at this year's Frontier Expo 2017, the company's first fan expo, they admitted that communication went dark for a time. But it wasn't…
Frontier Expo 2017: Elite Dangerous goes ‘Beyond’ with big plans for 2018 SOTA postmortem
VIDEO Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful. Work continues.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised AdventureQuest 3D 368k; beta began Oct 2016.
(Sandbox) – Launched July 2017. Albion Online
( Antraxx Team Antraxx) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Successful KS. Fully launched 2016.
(Intrepid Studios) – Successful KS. Ashes of Creation
(Cylinder) – Broke Protocol Unsuccessful KS. In free early access. (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Kickstarter successful; open donations/packages.
( Caribbean Conquest Invenio) – First KS canceled, second ended unsuccessfully.
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Kickstarter win, open packages, Indiegogo crowdfunding ongoing.
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful, open packages.
( Citadel of Sorcery MMO Magic, Inc.) – Open donations.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media) – Successful KS; launch planned for fall 2018.
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios) – Successful KS.
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter over, donor preorder packs.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter funded, now has donor platform. Pre-alpha.
( Eco Strange Loop Games) – Funded, now in alpha.
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded; in early access.
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrion Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
( Global Adventures SubaGames) – Kickstarter funded.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date; in early access.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, multiple times now.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
(Runewaker) – Funded and launched. Guardians of Ember
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage) – KS canceled; Indiegogo. Canceled w/ refunds.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) – Funded and launched.
( Legends of Aria Citadel Studios) – Kickstarted as Shards Online. Alpha ended.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended. Currently in beta.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Maestros of the Anthymn String Theory) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Infinity Online Studios) – Mekria Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
(Mizar Games) Nebula Online Kickstarter canceled; launched in November.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Ad Alternum) – OrbusVR KS funded March 2017.
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations, no end date.
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) – Doom, mostly.
(Craneballs) – Planet Nomads Kickstarted, early access launched sans multiplayer.
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game) – Kickstarted in three tries + Indiegogo. In alpha.
( Pumpkin Online Monique) – Downgrading from MMORPG.
(Fairytale Distillery) – fka Das Tal; 2015 The Exiled KS unsuccesful. In Steam early access.
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
(Idea Fabrik) – Kickstarted twice by A&B. Back in alpha The Repopulation
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; now in early access.
(Tarhead Studio) – Kickstarter successful. RUiN
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon.
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Successful KS. Soft launch July 2016.
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – In middle of year-long revamp after funding surge.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017. HEX PS4 launch