This week in MMO crowdfunding, eyebrows across the ‘verse rose as
Crytek filed a lawsuit alleging that the studios behind were in violation of Crytek’s copyrights in regard to CryEngine. In a statement to Massively OP, however, CIG denied that it was still using CryEngine and said it planned to fight back. “This is a meritless lawsuit that we will defend vigorously against, including recovering from Crytek any costs incurred in this matter.” Star Citizen and Squadron 42
Over on the
, CSE is busy working on plot and item permissions tech, scenarios, combat, skill buttons (no word on that I-win button, sorry), NPC AI, large group UI, deflect animations, the place of power, armor, and weeds. No, actual weeds. And dead trees. What did you think I meant? Camelot Unchained blog
hit early access, OrbusVR Albion Online tweaked Kay and updated its rewards, Thargoids finally started fighting back, and Elite’s raised a bunch of new money from investors. And the much-anticipated Crowfall and Ashes of Creation launched their respective pre-alphas for elite and specially selected early backers. Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen
Read on for more on what’s up with MMO crowdfunding over the last couple of weeks and the regular roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’re following.
Ashes of Creation
VIDEO Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- Now that Ashes of Creation is officially in its alpha testing, players will be able to discover for themselves what awaits in this interesting fantasy sandbox. One of these discoveries…
Ashes of Creation has 64 class combinations for you to try out
- Ultima Online spiritual successor Legends of Aria is preparing to go through a major transition over the new year as it winds down its crowdfunding campaign and gears up for…
Legends of Aria faces down closed beta testing
- With Saga of Lucimia's ninth pre-alpha test scheduled to run from December 22nd through January 5th, the team hopes that more fans will get excited enough to pony up a…
Saga of Lucimia’s devs shriek at spiders and bears
- Shake it off, Star Citizen: On this week's Around the Verse, CIG says it's "getting close to live release," stress testing the current version of the game with 176 must-fix issues…
Star Citizen’s Around the Verse on alpha 3.0, atmo flight, and Squadron 42 info
- After weeks of silence, Ashes of Creation looks like it might be gearing up for the promised December 15th Alpha Zero test. While the team hasn't recently confirmed that today's…
Ashes of Creation opens new storefront, alpha zero set to begin today
- Crowns are the microtransaction currency coming to Crowfall starting in 2018, which you can buy like most microtransaction currencies. Guilds are... well, guilds. If you've played an MMO you know…
Crowfall explains crowns, guilds, and buying crowns for guilds bought with crowns
- December is a time for sitting with friends and family, toasting to the new year, and most importantly, not doing any actual work. Thus, the developers behind Shroud of the…
Shroud of the Avatar prepares for the arrival of Release 49
- It turns out that when you mess with the Thargoids long enough, eventually even they get fed up. Elite Dangerous players have been poking the ethereal aliens with the space…
Elite Dangerous’ Thargoid aliens are finally fighting back
- When travelers wander in to Shroud of the Avatar's Release 49 later this week, they'll find that one watering hole looks much improved than before. The team has been busy…
Shroud of the Avatar creates the quintessential cozy inn, changes up free trial offerings
- Update: We've updated with CIG's official statement to us below. Crytek is suing Cloud Imperium Games and Roberts Space Industries, the companies behind the sprawling and controversial crowdfunded MMO Star…
Crytek sues Star Citizen developer Cloud Imperium, alleging copyright infringement
- It's a big day for indie MMORPG Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, as it's the first day the gates open to external pre-alpha testers to help test the game. "Our…
Pantheon begins pre-alpha testing for high-end backers
- That headline is a bit of a misnomer; everyone who hasn't already purchased OrbusVR will have to wait until December 15th for early access, but people who have already bought…
OrbusVR starts early access on December 15th with no more wipes
- Who says you have to have launched to have holiday events? Not Ship of Heroes. The City of Heroes-inspired indie superhero MMORPG has a new video out this afternoon teasing…
Ship of Heroes recaps 2017, teases Christmas event, and looks ahead to 2018’s beta
- As if CCP Games isn't struggling enough right now, the studio announced today that it's lost one of its own: an EVE Online developer and graphics programmer known to the…
CCP honors fallen EVE Online developer with fundraiser ship skin
- So how's the Life is Feudal MMO doing since it hit open beta a few weeks ago? The login issues and emergency game wipe aside, it's apparently attracted a decent…
Life is Feudal: MMO counts ‘tens of thousands’ of players in open beta
- Bossa Studios revealed today that Worlds Adrift's 0.1.6 patch - and its associated world wipe - won't make it into tester hands by Christmas. The 0.1.5 update, however, will. "It…
Worlds Adrift’s 0.1.5 update is almost ready, but the world wipe won’t come ’til after Christmas
- Better buy Sword Coast Legends while you still can: It appears that Wizards of the Coast and Digital Extremes will be ending the publishing contract for the Dungeons and Dragons-based…
Sword Coast Legends ends development – grab it from Steam while you can
- They aren't dressing it up with "burndown" hoopla, but City State Entertainment's devs are in just that kind of check-it-off testing mode with Camelot Unchained's development as they push their…
Camelot Unchained fleshes out books, clothes, and the new Dragonfang scenario
- Is Star Citizen alpha 3.0 going to make it past the PTU testers to the live server by Christmas? It's looking pretty tight. According to the game's weekly Around the…
Who does Star Citizen love now? HOVERBIKES!
- [AL:POE]Path of Exile's free-to-play War for the Atlas expansion is slated to go live this afternoon on PC, expanding the gameworld for diehard MMOARPG fans. As we've previously reported, the…
Path of Exile’s War for the Atlas expansion is live today
- Thinking about reserving a character name in Chronicles of Elyria? It's going to cost you, but if you're willing to pony up the dough, you should be sitting pretty some…
Chronicles of Elyria to start taking name reservations next month
- The trouble with seeing VR images on a non-VR screen is, well, they don't really carry the same sort of impact. The new OrbusVR trailer is full of stuff that…
OrbusVR shows off with a new trailer for early access
- Lest you be dispirited by the fact that Crowfall's soft launch isn't going to make 2017 as promised (after also not making 2016), ArtCraft has a post up today outlining…
Crowfall studio ArtCraft just raised another $6M from investors to launch the game
- Albion Online's dev team hasn't run out of girlfriends' and boyfriends' Arthurian lore names to use for its patches, so everyone say hello to today's Kay update. The big focus…
Albion Online releases a new update, ‘Kay?
- Crowfall's J. Todd Coleman and Billy Garretsen are back for another ACE Q&A - you can pretty much mark the months by these things. December's edition is all about the…
Crowfall: ‘You don’t have to get into the stats to have a good time in this game’
- If you've not played on the original Star Wars Galaxies emulator in a season or two, it's probably escaped your notice entirely that its core server, Basilisk, had a serious…
Star Wars Galaxies’ main emulator got a major infrastructure upgrade and the Village Jedi system
- Expect some vampires to be popping bottles of the red bubbly today. The team behind Shadow's Kiss is celebrating the conclusion a modestly successful Kickstarter run, the funds from which…
Shadow’s Kiss ends Kickstarter with 300% funding and several stretch goals
- There has never been an idea so offbeat and weird that the Project Gorgon team will not give it a shot. That does not simply extend to in-game mechanics, either.…
Project Gorgon releases an experimental launcher for Linux
- If you fall into the trap of thinking of every fantasy mine as a dark cavern full of Temple of Doom-style trolley tracks, then Shroud of the Avatar would like…
Shroud of the Avatar’s newest mine borrows from Greek mythology Elite Dangerous
Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful. Work continues.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised AdventureQuest 3D 368k; beta began Oct 2016.
(Sandbox) – Launched July 2017. Albion Online
( Antraxx Team Antraxx) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Successful KS. Fully launched 2016.
(Intrepid Studios) – Successful KS. Alpha zero. Ashes of Creation
(Cylinder) – Broke Protocol Unsuccessful KS. In free early access. (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Kickstarter successful; open donations/packages.
( Caribbean Conquest Invenio) – First KS canceled, second ended unsuccessfully.
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Kickstarter win, open packages, Indiegogo crowdfunding ongoing.
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful, open packages.
( Citadel of Sorcery MMO Magic, Inc.) – Open donations.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media) – Successful KS; launch planned for fall 2018.
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios) – Successful KS.
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter over, donor preorder packs.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter funded, now has donor platform. Pre-alpha.
( Eco Strange Loop Games) – Funded, now in alpha.
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded; in early access.
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrion Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
( Global Adventures SubaGames) – Kickstarter funded.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date; in early access.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, multiple times now.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
(Runewaker) – Funded and launched. Guardians of Ember
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage) – KS canceled; Indiegogo. Canceled w/ refunds.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) – Funded and launched.
( Legends of Aria Citadel Studios) – Kickstarted as Shards Online. Alpha ended.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended. Currently in beta.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Maestros of the Anthymn String Theory) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Infinity Online Studios) – Mekria Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
(Mizar Games) Nebula Online Kickstarter canceled; launched in November.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Ad Alternum) – OrbusVR KS funded March 2017. In early access.
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations. Prealpha.
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) – Doom, mostly.
(Craneballs) – Planet Nomads Kickstarted, early access launched sans multiplayer.
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game) – Kickstarted in three tries + Indiegogo. In alpha.
( Pumpkin Online Monique) – Downgrading from MMORPG.
(Fairytale Distillery) – fka Das Tal; 2015 The Exiled KS unsuccesful. In Steam early access.
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
(Idea Fabrik) – Kickstarted twice by A&B. Back in alpha The Repopulation
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; now in early access.
(Tarhead Studio) – Kickstarter successful. RUiN
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon, Kickstarter funded.
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Successful KS. Soft launch July 2016.
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – In middle of year-long revamp after funding surge.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017.
(Campfire Games) – Successful Kickstarter; in alpha. War of Rights Camelot Unchained