Betawatch: Sea of Thieves heads to closed beta cove later this month (January 12, 2018)
Avast, feast your eyes here, ye swabbies: Sea of Thieves be settin’ sail for the waters of closed beta on the 24th of January for both PC and the Box of X. Hoist the mainsails and prepare to have your senses bedazzled, as no shroud separates ye from the testing, nor any NDA. Ye can even read up on the intelligence what governs those fancy skeletons that be dancin’ about, or ye could pick up a fine new hand-held controller for a heft spot of dubloons.
Other news for betas? Aye, ’tis a fine time to discuss the other ships what sit full in the water.
- Have ye eyes ‘pon the ships what sail in the skies in Ascent: Infinite Realm? Then perhaps ye best feast your eyes ‘pon the lore trailer, for its success or failure will do much to speak for the future of Kakao Games.
- The open beta of Escape from Tarkov be coming up swift on the starboard bow, and her crew be workin’ hard to prepare for the storm what’s brewin’ within.
- Rumors have flown across tavern halls that Amazon’s New World trailer has been sighted! Yet those same rumors also speculate that she may have capsized, takin’ all souls aboard to the darkness below. Aye, all rumors until we hear the truth be told.
- The treasure hold of Chronicles of Elyria be fit to burst now, but the crew has parted ways with SpatialOS and ye may well wonder if such a ship can still sail the briny waves.
- Last but not least, the savage landlubbers what fill Conan Exiles will be even more brutal when the game’s combat upgrade starts testin’ in fine February. Keep the sea at your back, swabbies, lest ye find an axe in it instead.
Now, I’ve told my tale and told it true, so ye ought let me be. But first, cast your eyes to the horizon, and ye can see our full list of games what be in beta testin’ right now! Aye, a beautiful sight; take a fine boat below, and keep your eyes peeled if one of those salty dogs what slipped into a new test phase without us recognizin’ it ahead of time.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Open beta
Boundless: Donor alpha
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Children of Ur: Open alpha
Citadel: Forged with Fire: Early access
Closers: Closed beta
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
Dauntless: Closed beta
Dark and Light: Early access
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Edengrad: Early access
Eleven: Closed alpha
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Gloria Victis: Early access on Steam
Global Adventures: Closed beta
H1Z1: Paid early access
Just Survive: Paid early access
Legends of Aria: Final alpha, formerly known as Shards Online; closed beta on January 15th
Life is Feudal: Open beta
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
OrbusVR: Early access
Osiris: New Dawn: Early access
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
SamuTale: Closed alpha
Sea of Thieves: Closed beta on January 24th
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Stash: Backer alpha
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Culling: Early access testing
The Exiled: Early access; formerly Das Tal
The Repopulation: Closed alpha
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Valiance Online: Alpha testing
Wild Buster: Limited alpha testing
Wild Terra: Steam early access
Wild West Online: Early access alpha
Worlds Adrift: Closed beta