Leaderboard: What kinds of MMORPG purchases do you consider pay-to-win?
I know I’m not alone in noticing that MMO gamers of late seem to have become sharply divided on how to define the term pay-to-win – indeed, the debate raged last week in threads about Black Desert’s player protest, Elder Scrolls Online’s cash shop prices, and the general consensus that ArcheAge is whale heaven. Recently Massively OP commenter Pepperzine recently wrote to us suggesting that we address it and try to sort it out.
“While there are proponents for all sides of the argument, I think it would be interesting to see where the bulk of people draw the line,” he wrote. “At the end of the day, individual perceptions are important but what is most important when it comes to this topic is what the majority perceives as pay-to-win.”
So let’s turn his proposal into the requisite Leaderboard poll, shall we? And yes, you can click as many as you want!
Which of the following purchases would you consider P2W?
- Anything that can be looted through normal gameplay (3%, 437 Votes)
- Anything that can be looted through elite gameplay (5%, 703 Votes)
- Anything that cannot be acquired in the game (6%, 826 Votes)
- Buffs that can that be acquired in the game (3%, 444 Votes)
- Buffs that cannot be acquired in the game (8%, 1,105 Votes)
- Items that affect RNG probability of upgrading or acquiring gear (8%, 1,056 Votes)
- Items that affect lockout timers (6%, 835 Votes)
- Gear with stats (7%, 1,050 Votes)
- Cosmetic gear (0%, 60 Votes)
- Direct sale of currency (6%, 844 Votes)
- Indirect sale of currency (5%, 657 Votes)
- Anything that increases leveling speed (3%, 427 Votes)
- Anything that circumvents leveling like level boosters (4%, 501 Votes)
- Mounts, vehicles, ships, teleports, or anything with an effect on travel speed (3%, 487 Votes)
- Property, houses, land (3%, 395 Votes)
- Auction or inventory slots (3%, 449 Votes)
- Advantages that help in PvE but not PvP (6%, 902 Votes)
- Advantages that help in PvP but not PvE (8%, 1,090 Votes)
- Cash shop-only gear slots (7%, 1,036 Votes)
- Access to classes or races (4%, 618 Votes)
- Something else (tell us in the comments) (0%, 64 Votes)
- No response / just want to view tally (0%, 56 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,364
With thanks to Pepperzine!