The MOP Up: Battlerite royale (May 6, 2018)
The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
Maybe you’ll discover a new game in this space — or be reminded of an old favorite! This week we have stories and videos from TERA, Neverwinter, Battlerite, The Black Death, Royal Blood, Saga of Lucimia, Skyforge, Prosperous Universe, Pokemon Go, Ocean Legend, Ultima Online, Reign of Guilds, Dofus, Final Fantasy XI, Destiny, and Osiris: New Dawn, all waiting for you after the break!
- Final Fantasy XI: The 16th anniversary of this game is approaching, and patches are still rolling into it. Neat!
- Skyforge: A small May 2nd patch made some tweaks to the Antean Wasteland.
- The Black Death: Patch 0.29 brought some fixes and small features, such as guild clothing colors, lumber mills, and throwable torches.
- Neverwinter: This small patch made some adjustments to masterwork professions and a few combat abilities.
- Pokemon Go: A fighting-type Pokemon event is going on right now through May 14th, so go capture yourself one of these bad boys or girls!
- TERA: The team is hosting a loading screen contest for the game’s 6th anniversary.
Odds and Ends
- Knives Out: NetEase hired the creator of the film Battle Royale to help improve this battle royale-style mobile game.
- Destiny: Good news for soundtrack fans — Bungie is finally going to release Music from the Spheres for real.
- Ultima Online: Creator Raph Koster returned to the game for a three-hour livestream in which he explored the game and talked about its development.
- Battlerite: This MOBA is the latest to join the battle royale bandwagon. Hope it works out for them!
- Lootboxes: Don’t expect to see these disappear any time soon — an industry analyst predicts that they’ll be pushing the digital games market to $160 billion annually by 2022.
Can a mobile MMO ever be as good as a PC one? Royal Blood is aiming to do just that:
Saga of Lucimia’s community manager talks shop with the devs:
The Prosperous Universe team recently showed off the game at Quo Vadis and had a few words to say about the experience:
Check out some prototype gameplay from the upcoming Reign of Guilds:
Dofus is turning back the clock with its Temporis servers, which are limited-time ranking servers:
Osiris: New Dawn is creating “behind the scenes experiences” for testers to try out [thanks Kinya!]: