H1Z1 this week announced and then canceled plans to charge a monthly pass for its battle royale mode; it’s still happening, Smed says, but not soon — after all, the game’s still in alpha. Daybreak also laid out its roadmap for the game’s coming year. What else is new in the land of MMO testing?
- CCP opened EVE: Valkyrie pre-alpha registration to EVE Online and DUST 514 players. (Thanks Cosstarica!)
- Skyforge begins its second closed beta on March 24th.
- Daybreak began a Landmark competition to build EverQuest Next’s Qeynos. Landmark also abolished claim upkeep and plans to do only one more character wipe.
- Crowfall heads into its final week of crowdfunding discussing mount mechanics, VR support, and territory development.
- At Fanfest, we learned that DUST 514’s do-over Project Legion might be in dev limbo.
- Elite: Dangerous’ Mac beta begins March 31st.
- Eternal Crusade has canceled its planned early modules to focus on founder access.
- Das Tal is considering going buy-to-play at launch.
- Cabal II unveiled a deep-dive video on its combat system.
- PlanetSide 2’s PS4 beta begins next week.
- Line of Defense had a rough weekend stress test.
- Origins of Malu’s PvP module landed in early access today.
Our complete list of MMOs in testing is below.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed.
Albion Online: Alpha phases running intermittently this winter
Ascent: The Space Game: Steam early access
Auto Club Revolution: Closed beta
Beasts of Prey: Early access alpha
Black Desert: Korean open beta
Cabal II: Closed beta (NA)
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Das Tal: Alpha
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Dungeon Fighter Online: Open testing begins March 24
Earthrise: First Impact: Alpha but still alive
Echo of Soul: Beta
Eleven: Closed alpha
Eternal Crusade: Early access begins fall 2015
EVE: Valkyrie: Pre-alpha registration for EVE and DUST players
Ever, Jane: In testing; 2016 anticipated release
Gloria Victis: Donor pre-alpha
H1Z1: Paid early access
Heroes of the Storm: Paid closed beta
HEX: Unofficial open beta
Kingdom Online: Closed beta
Landmark: Paid closed beta, cash shop active
Life is Feudal: Early access beta
Line of Defense: Early access
MyDream: Closed testing open to donors
Nosgoth: Open beta
Oort Online: Donor alpha
Origins of Malu: Combat module in early access
Otherland: Second closed beta
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
PlanetSide 2: PS4 beta
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing, just like the old days
Shadowrun Chronicles: Steam early access; launching in April
Shards Online: Pre-alpha
Shroud of the Avatar: Steam early access, backer testing
Skyforge: Closed beta #2 begins March 24th
SkySaga: Ongoing NA and UK alpha events
Star Citizen: Backer pre-alpha
Starriser: Taking beta signups
Stash: Backer alpha
The Repopulation: Early access/backer alpha
Tribal Wars 2: Open testing
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Valiance Online: Alpha stress testing
Venus Rising: Internal alpha (adult/NSFW)
World of Warships: Closed beta