Rather than languishing in beta for all eternity, Heroes of the Storm is launching on June 2nd! Sure, there will be no further wipes and the game goes into open testing on May 19th, but that’s not the same as launching. Why? I’m glad you asked!
Here are other testing news stories.
- As long as we’re focusing on MOBAs for the moment, Spacetime Studios has kicked off the highly selective Call of Champions alpha testing. If you don’t already know about it, you will never be allowed to look directly at testing screens.
- Camelot Unchained added a new stretch goal to unlock spirit pets, while also answering questions about how spirit pets work.
- Do you want an outpost in Pathfinder Online? You can totally have one now. You can have a holding, too. No fiefs, freeholds, or shantytowns, though.
- Landmark showed off its achievement-focused progression system. It also showed off its overhauled landmasses.
- Since everyone loves standing around and shouting about selling wares, there will be no player-run shops in Life is Feudal.
- The PS4 beta for The Elder Scrolls Online has started, and we’ve been promised that there will be no more in-game ads telling you about totally cool mounts. So that’s a relief.
- Last but not least, Skyforge showed off the wrath of the divine to coincide with the game’s latest closed beta test.
Oh, hey, we never did explain how an open test with no wipes and a cash shop is different from launch, did we? Check out our full testing list just past the break!
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed.
Albion Online: Alpha phases running intermittently this winter
Ascent: The Space Game: Steam early access
Auto Club Revolution: Closed beta
Beasts of Prey: Early access alpha
Black Desert: Korean open beta
Cabal II: Closed beta (NA)
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Das Tal: Alpha
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Dungeon Fighter Online: Open testing
Earthrise: First Impact: Alpha but still alive
Echo of Soul: Beta
Eleven: Closed alpha
Eternal Crusade: Early access begins fall 2015
EVE: Valkyrie: Pre-alpha registration for EVE and DUST players
Ever, Jane: In testing; 2016 anticipated release
Gloria Victis: Donor pre-alpha
H1Z1: Paid early access
Heroes of the Storm: Launching June 2
HEX: Unofficial open beta
Kingdom Online: Closed beta
Landmark: Paid closed beta, cash shop active
Life is Feudal: Early access beta
Line of Defense: Early access
MyDream: Closed testing open to donors
Nosgoth: Open beta
Oort Online: Donor alpha
Origins of Malu: Combat module in early access
Otherland: Second closed beta
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
PlanetSide 2: PS4 beta
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
Shadowrun Chronicles: Steam early access; launching in April
Shards Online: Pre-alpha
Shroud of the Avatar: Steam early access, backer testing
Skyforge: Closed beta #3 ongoing, open beta/launch this summer
SkySaga: Ongoing NA and UK alpha events
Star Citizen: Backer pre-alpha
Starriser: Taking beta signups
Stash: Backer alpha
The Repopulation: Early access/backer alpha
Tribal Wars 2: Open testing
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Valiance Online: Alpha stress testing
Venus Rising: Internal alpha (adult/NSFW)
World of Warships: Closed beta