I’m not going to lie to you, dear readers: I don’t care much about Star Citizen. I am aware, though, that the actual big news about the game over the past week was a big information drop regarding the game’s FPS module. But for my money, the big thing was the silly little Flash-based shooter. That’s the sort of stuff I like.
Yeah, I might have played that a lot.
Did anything else happen over the past week? No. And by no, I of course mean yes.
- Das Tal started its countdown to its Kickstarter campaign. Then it launched its Kickstarter campaign.
- There are a whole lot of skins in Heroes of the Storm. It also has Kael’thas on the way, if you really like claiming everything up to and including defeat as “a setback.”
- At long last, Black Desert is in open beta! In Japan. Not here. Sorry!
- The third closed beta for Skyforge came to a close, and the game previewed another form of endgame between tests.
- Lineage Eternal is still a thing after all, and it’s holding a small test next month.
- If you love SMITE but were sad that it wasn’t available on a console, good news: It’s in closed testing on Xbox One now.
- There’s basically no reason to expect it’s ever coming here other than guttering hope, but Age of Heroes is apparently a game in which you can swap between your characters in mid-combat. It’s in closed beta in Taiwan, and Steparu took a look at it.
Do we have a huge list of games that are currently in testing down below? Oh, you know us too well. Probably because we do this every week. Check it out, and let us know if something sneakily changed testing status while we weren’t looking all secret-like.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed.
Albion Online: Alpha phases aimed for summer
Ascent: The Space Game: Steam early access
Auto Club Revolution: Closed beta
Beasts of Prey: Early access alpha
Black Desert: Korean and Japanese open beta
Cabal II: Closed beta (NA); first test ends May 3rd
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Das Tal: Kickstarter, Alpha expected in 2015
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Dungeon Fighter Online: Open testing
Earthrise: First Impact: Alpha but still alive
Echo of Soul: Beta
Eleven: Closed alpha
Eternal Crusade: Early access begins fall 2015
EVE: Valkyrie: Pre-alpha registration for EVE and DUST players
Ever, Jane: In testing; 2016 anticipated release
Gloria Victis: Donor pre-alpha
H1Z1: Paid early access
Heroes of the Storm: Launching June 2
HEX: Unofficial open beta
Kingdom Online: Closed beta
Landmark: Paid closed beta, cash shop active
Life is Feudal: Early access beta
Line of Defense: Early access
MyDream: Closed testing open to donors
Nosgoth: Open beta
Oort Online: Donor alpha
Origins of Malu: Combat module in early access
Otherland: Second closed beta
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
PlanetSide 2: PS4 beta
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
Shadowrun Chronicles: Steam early access; launching in April
Shards Online: Pre-alpha
Shroud of the Avatar: Steam early access, backer testing
Skyforge: Closed beta #3 ongoing, open beta/launch this summer
SkySaga: Ongoing NA and UK alpha events
Star Citizen: Backer pre-alpha
Starriser: Taking beta signups
Stash: Backer alpha
The Repopulation: Early access/backer alpha
Tribal Wars 2: Open testing
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Valiance Online: Alpha stress testing
Venus Rising: Internal alpha (adult/NSFW)
World of Warships: Closed beta