I’m not going to pretend to fully understand why people are super excited about Tree of Savior, but I’m still very happy that the people who are super excited about it are seeing forward motion with its first English beta test on August 4th. Seriously, that’s great news; Phantasy Star Online 2 fans have been waiting for that much news since the game was announced, and that doesn’t seem to be happening.
Other beta news? Oh, yes.
- Dragon’s Dogma Online has a beta schedule and a release date, but it doesn’t have any announcements about localization. Put that in your dogma and… dragon it, I guess? That one got away from me.
- Early access testing for Armored Warfare is running from August 13th to August 30th if you like your warfare the same way you like your dinosaurs. (It is assumed you like armored dinosaurs.)
- Star Citizen fielded questions on another new ship while quietly scaling back some of its promised features for the Squadron 42 singleplayer campaign.
- The first public beta weekend for all of Guild Wars 2‘s first expansion will kick off on August 7th. Bring your friends! (Don’t load up on guns.)
- If you have deep affection for Inspirit Online, you should know that it is now in open beta with no more wipes! It all counts now.
- Holdings and outpost wars have gone live in Pathfinder Online, bringing one of the core features of the game into a playable state.
And yes, folks, there’s a list of games below! There always is. Plus, we’d love to know if a game slipped into a different testing phase but we missed it; let us know in the comments.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed.
Albion Online: Founder alpha in progress
Ascent: The Space Game: Steam early access
Auto Club Revolution: Closed beta
Beasts of Prey: Early access alpha
Black Desert: Korean and Japanese open beta
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Das Tal: Alpha expected in 2015
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Dungeon Fighter Online: Open testing
Earthrise: First Impact: Alpha but still alive
Eleven: Closed alpha
Eternal Crusade: Early access begins fall 2015
EVE: Valkyrie: Pre-alpha registration for EVE and DUST players
Ever, Jane: In testing; 2016 anticipated release
Gloria Victis: Donor pre-alpha
H1Z1: Paid early access
HEX: Unofficial open beta
Kingdom Online: Closed beta
Landmark: Paid closed beta, cash shop active
Life is Feudal: Early access beta
Line of Defense: Early access
MyDream: Closed testing open to donors
Nosgoth: Open beta
Oort Online: Donor alpha
Origins of Malu: Combat module in early access
Otherland: Second closed beta
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
Shadowrun Chronicles: Steam early access; launching in April
Shards Online: Pre-alpha
Shroud of the Avatar: Steam early access, backer testing
SkySaga: Ongoing NA and UK alpha events
Star Citizen: Backer pre-alpha
Starriser: Taking beta signups
Stash: Backer alpha
The Repopulation: Early access/backer alpha, launching Q4 2015
Tree of Life: Paid early access
Tribal Wars 2: Open testing
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Valiance Online: Pre-alpha testing
Venus Rising: Internal alpha (adult/NSFW)
World of Warships: Open beta