The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. See any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
This week we’ll learn about the interesting history of Destiny, fight off an invasion in RuneScape, enjoy various Halloween festivities, learn why ArenaNet’s Colin Johanson got banned from a livestream, and more!
- Destiny: A hotfix stopped the Nightstalker from using unlimited shadowshots, while Bungie explained why it’s using weekly lockouts for some of its events.
- Forsaken World Mobile: Babel Ascending is on the way, a content update that includes a 100-floor tower, three world bosses, and an in-game marriage system.
- War Thunder: A pair of small patches hit the game this week, one for tweaks to jet boosters and another one adding Steam controller support.
- Elder Scrolls Online: Get ready for next month’s Orsinium DLC by meeting Eveli Sharp-Arrow and diving into some lore questions!
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: A small post-expansion patch added back in C2-N2, returned companion outfits, and started selling instant level 60 tokens in the market.
Events and Contests
- RuneScape: An invasion of Falador is underway and players are invited to participate — and while they’re there, to check out the graphical rework of the town. [Thanks to Tylere for the tip!]
- Firefall: The scifi game’s Halloween event is here, with two world encounters for players to discover and conquer. Masks, pets, and decals are at stake here!
- Dark Age of Camelot: Chapter 8 of the Otherworlds campaign is upon us, with only two more to go before it all concludes.
- Path of Exile: From November 2nd through December 7th, Path of Exile will be hosting “experimental” Darkshrine events in both standard and hardcore modes.
- World of Warcraft: Carve pumpkins. Take pictures. Win stuffs.
- Skyforge: Think scary. Make movie. Win stuffs.
Odds and Ends
- Destiny: Curious about the making of this game? Then read up on this fascinating “messy” story of how Destiny came about, including a complete re-do in the middle of development.
- League of Legends: If players have an offensive name, Riot now gives players an optional psych test as part of the process of selecting a new name. So when’s the last time you teased someone to make them angry?
- Wargaming: The World of Tanks developer announced that it’s created a new division called WG Cells that will solely focus on making mobile titles.
- Guild Wars 2: A Twitch streamer was joined by lead developer Colin Johanson, but the streamer banned him thinking that Colin was an imposter. Whoops.
- Aion: NCsoft has been teasing its fans regarding a major announcement that’s coming on November 11th. What could it be? This piece of artwork (above) might contain a clue.
- Phantasy Star Online 2: No one reads EULAs, but maybe you should make an exception in PSO2’s case. There’s a section that asks players not to use the game as part of manufacturing and using weapons of mass destruction.
How cool is it that Dungeons & Dragons author R.A. Salvatore is collaborating with Neverwinter? So cool. In the following interview, Salvatore talks with the dev team about his work on the game.
Albion Online revealed one of its most evil creations, the demon prince, in a new video preview. You just know you’re going to smack his butt down.