Game Director Josh Mosqueira headlined the Blood and Treasure panel, emphasizing the Diablo franchise’s patches over its expansions: Yes, patch 2.4 is on the way for Diablo III “very, very, very soon.” Here are the highlights!
- Patch 2.4 includes two new areas — the snowy Eternal Woods and the expanded Royal Quarters in Leoric’s Manor — as well as one new zone, Greyhollow Island. There will also be seven new events, 16 new monsters, and 175 new bounties split between acts 3, 4, and 5, including a new type called Bounty Grounds.
- Buff indicators and damage numbers are due for some optimization and streamlining so they don’t suck up so much UI space.
- Blizzard is aiming to shrink the experience gap between soloing and grouping in several ways: reducing monster health based on group size; reducing the XP bonus from items; increasing monster XP by 50%; and porting killstreaks from the console edition.
- Empowered Rifts are amped-up Greater Rifts that are intended to be a heavy gold sink for those who have too much and not affect folks who don’t have much at all. The highest-end Greater Rift will cost 540,000,000 gold just to get in the door.
- And Kanai’s Cube will get a new recipe that allows you to permanently augment an ancient item by sacrificing a legendary gem.
- Expect a “no-set set” of gear and 24 set dungeons with special gear-set objectives.
- Blizzard will kick off Season 5 with a Rebirth system, which allows you to start your character over from level 1 without losing your hours played, gear, and records.
- Season 4 is intended to end in late December, with a break after that before Season 5 begins. Season 5 itself will run for three months and include five conquests in hardcore and softcore mode, rotating over the seasons just as the season journey objectives will.
- New Season rewards will focus on portait frames, pets, pennants, and wings. But Seasonal legendaries are being cut. (There were gasps and boos after that announcement! I felt bad, but Wyatt jumped in was a good distraction there.) Instead, players will be guaranteed a different six-piece set.
- More bank tabs! You can buy more and you’ll get them as rewards for season journeys, up to 10 tabs — doubling the current stash. Console players will get a boost in slots instead.
The patch will land on the PTR next week “if everything goes well.”
We snapped a few shots of the panel below, and the team has a dev blog up on everything now.