The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. See any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
New games and testing
- Rise and Destroy: KingsIsle, the maker of Wizard101 and Pirate101, has a new mobile game out that puts players in the roles of monsters fighting against those nasty humans.
- DayZ: The expected Xbox One version of this survival title will not be happening this year, but might be coming in 2016 instead. Sorry console fans!
- Linkrealms: If you have any interest in this title at all, you have the next week to try out the game for free (through November 14th).
- Total War: Arena: The closed beta test for this new MOBA will go live on November 13th. Check it out and see if it has enough traction to make it in an increasingly crowded field.
- Camelot Unchained: The PvP MMO’s most recent newsletter covers backer rewards as well as provides a sneak peek at Silverhand concept art.
- Eternal Crusade: The latest state of the crusade newsletter talks about getting founders into the alpha this month, and while the NDA is still in effect, the team is allowing some sources to report without a muzzle.
- Perfect World International: The MMO’s 11th expansion, War Front, is coming to the game on November 11th. It includes cross-server battles and a “dynamic” solo instance.
- Skyforge: The upcoming Journey of the Divine update will boast a couple of improvements that players should find useful. You can read the full patch notes of this November 12th update as well.
- War Thunder: Patch 1.53, Firestorm, is live and brings with it visual improvements, mobile rocket launchers, an upgraded engine, and 20 new vehicles in total. [Thanks to Boris for the tip!]
- Ultima Online: Hit up Publish 91 for new holiday gifts, hunting trophies, and veteran rewards.
Events and contests
- EVE Online: The Amarr Championships starts today and continues through the 15th, as players fight for one of the six royal families to be the next in line for the throne.
- G-Star 2015: NCsoft has decided to pull Lineage Eternal from its booth, focusing instead on its Master X Master MOBA as the spotlight title for this year’s show. Closed beta testing for Lineage Eternal will start next year.
- EverQuest II: The Heroes Festival is back in town with several activities for adventurers to enjoy. It will conclude on November 16th.
- Ingress: This past weekend Ingress hosted a massive Saturday event that took place in over 100 cities around the world. Did you participate?
- Dark Age of Camelot: Another week, another chapter in DAoC’s Otherworlds campaign. It’s almost over, so catch up quick!
Odds and ends
- Aeria Games: The MMO publisher has opened up a new office in San Francisco to handle acquisitions, marketing, and social media for the company.
- ARK: Survival Evolved: If you’ve been missing gaudy and impractical armor on your dinosaurs in ARK, then get thee hence to the Pimp My Rex mod. Self-esteem not included.
- Destiny: The popular console game is now posting “statistics of the week,” the first edition of which cited nearly 821,000 players attempting the Trials of Osiris.
- Nutaku: Nutaku has a brand-new gaming portal for all of its (two) titles. Angelic Saga Online anyone?
- Overwatch: Even though the game isn’t out yet, clever players have found plenty of interesting hidden Easter eggs in Overwatch. Yes, one of them is a murloc.
- EVE Online: The beta Mac client for the game is now available for anyone to download and test!
- Elder Scrolls Online: The Orsinium lore keeps on pouring in, with a new piece covering the Maelstrom Arena.
- Wizard101: The magical game is getting ready to host the Harvest Festival while Pirate101 has a recap of its birthday celebration.
- Hearthstone: Studio execs said that they are “considering” exploring the possibility for gambling-like modes in which players would pay in advance for the chance to win cash prizes.
- Asheron’s Call and Asheron’s Call 2: Developers have finally been able to turn back on the ability to create new accounts after two months of it being locked.
Worlds Adrift players will have more than just enemies to contend with, as nasty weather of all types will present real and present challenges. Check out this video of storm walls and quake in your booties:
What’s next for Skyforge? The developers sit down to talk about the future of this action MMO:
The MMORTS Rodinia War is adding a new alliance system and cleaning up lapsed accounts even while the game is still in beta. Speaking of which, here’s Rodinia War’s open beta trailer:
Ever wanted to play as a ball? Don’t know why you would, but if so there’s a new game called Orbs that could be your jam. It’s PvP too!
Learn more about MechWarrior Online’s MechWarrior Academy in this new dev vlog (why does it make me feel dirty to type “vlog?”):
Forsaken World Mobile is really excited about its Babel Ascending update. After watching the official trailer, the question is, are you too?
The mobile MMO Toram Online has added a new skill tree through which players can dual wield swords. Sound cool? Check out the new trailer: