The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
This week we welcomed Metal Gear Online’s multiplayer launch on PC, got a comprehensive lesson on the history of MMOs, took a peek at the cover art of Albion Online’s novel, wept at a heartfelt goodbye from two devs, and more!
New Games and Testing
- Heroes & Generals: Anti-aircraft guns are in with this latest update for all three factions. The game claims six million registered users and is currently in open beta.
- Rusty Hearts Heroes: The return of the cult classic Rusty Hearts on mobile devices is being augmented with the soft launch of Rusty Hearts Heroes, an action-RPG with many of the same characters.
- Blade: Sword of Elysion: Always disappointed with action-RPGs that end? Then check out this mobile title, which promises “infinite epic dungeons.”
- Nightfalls: 37Games’ browser-based collecting MMORPG got its 1.1 update, which bumped the level cap and added multiplayer guild dungeons.
Odds and Ends
- Metal Gear Online: The online multiplayer mode for Metal Gear Solid V finally launched on the PC, and there is plenty of DLC planned for it in the future. “Building the future and keeping MGO alive are one and the same thing,” the devs posted.
- Hearthstone: Call it Shufflegate? Players are trying to wrap their heads around the fact that throwing a card back into the deck reshuffles the entire thing, a discovery that is sparking some heated discussion in the community.
- Hearthstone: Speaking of the card game, one player has taken it on himself to figure out the math behind the arena mode (hint: You need to win 70% of the time to break even or come out ahead).
- History: Looking for a decent and comprehensive overview of the MMORPG genre? This guide walks both the newbie and veteran alike through the history and state of the genre, complete with interesting statistics and terminology.
- Jeremy Soule: Video game composer Jeremy Soule and his brother have started up a new business, Roland Virtual Sonics, which is “a software, services, and media solutions provider.”
- Albion Online: Fans of the upcoming sandbox can get their first glimpse of the cover art for the game’s lead-in novel, Landfall. The book is coming “soon.”
- Aion: The upcoming March server merges in Europe might leave players with some questions about the event, so the team has posted a FAQ with some additional details about what’s to come.
- Forsaken World: PWE’s Forsaken World expansion, Awakening, is live now in the west.
- The Secret World: Funcom’s Golden Week events are live. Stay tuned this week for MJ’s stream! (Thanks, SomewhatEclectic!)
What can AA vehicles do for your side in Heroes & Generals? Check out this patch video and see how WWII is coming alive in this game.
You might not be able to see the following Armored Warfare video, for it is camouflaged! Visual camouflage customization has come to the game, allowing players to create up to three different disguises for their hell-tanks as they careen through different environments.