The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
This week, MMO specialist Nexon launched Legacy Quest worldwide. It’s an action RPG with “3-D retro pixel” voxel-like graphics, 70 unique dungeons, seven levels of difficulty, and of course, mobile gameplay — it’s now on both iOS and Android.
Read on for more bits of gaming news we didn’t want to leave behind!
- Path of Exile’s post-Ascendancy 2.2.1 patch was the capstone to “over ten” minipatches deployed to the game over the past week to address performance issues, crashes, and stability; it included gameplay tweaks as well.
- Splatoon launched its 2.6.0 patch.
- Webzen’s 3-D mobile MMORPG MU Online released Season 11 Part 1. “The Season 11 Part 1 invites the players to Ferea, a new area, featuring a stunning city full of magnificent structures and artworks,” says the studio. “Only players with a level 400 character or higher are allowed to enter Ferea, where many enemies await them. Defeat the Ferea Knights, Fighters, Archers, Generals and the most powerful boss monster Lord of Ferea to get a number of valuable drop-items.”
- Age of Wushu’s European counterpart, Age of Wulin, was patched up with Chapter 8: Uncharted World, complete with a new housing system, new survival system, and hugely expanded map.
Events and contests
- Allods Online announced a PvP team tournament called Circle of Equals, complete with its own server and hefty crystal rewards.
- League of Legends studio Riot Games acquired Radiant Entertainment, tasking the substudio to continue “full speed ahead” on Stonehearth and seemingly turning the Rising Thunder team into a new game.
- Nexon spent some of its 2015 windfall on the purchase of Big Huge Games, developer of DomiNations.
- Blizzard announced its regional pricing plan for Overwatch.
- EVE Online chronicled the goals and process of creating its new data center.
Armored Warfare demoed its upcoming Highwall map:
Space Engineers’ latest update tweaked atmosphere and modding (thanks, I-Spy!).
DayZ’s latest dev vlog focused on the economy of the early access survival game.
Finally, Paladins released a brand-new character as part of its Darkness Descends patch. (Thanks, Jim!) Meet Androxus, The Godslayer: