The loss of EverQuest Next is bad news, but Landmark appears to be poised to absorb the strength of its fallen sibling with its further updates, like boss fights where you fight two things at once. The game is indeed getting a storytelling system, allowing everyone to jump in and craft stories, dungeons, and the like. Its next big update is due on Monday and will wipe characters and claims; two more such wipes are planned before the title finally launches.
The rest of the beta world, meanwhile, continued to move on full steam ahead.
- Paladins has deployed another major build to the game’s test servers, including a new payload map, Serpent’s Temple. One wonders what sort of payload is being delivered. Serpents, perhaps. (Thanks to Sorenthaz for pointing this out to us!)
- RuneScape Chronicle early access has begun, which means that the time has come for all closed beta testers to enjoy the benefit of their even earlier access. Stay tuned for normal access, slightly later access, and one-year delay access.
- Is there room in your heart for another digital card game? Star Crusade has released its first official trailer, and it wants your affection. And your attention. Also it wouldn’t mind having your stepstool, like, if you weren’t using it.
- Stronghold Kingdoms has released its trailer for its mobile versions, if you really like building castles all over the place but don’t like having to sit down in your actual home to do so.
- You can buy a founder’s pack for the upcoming Paragon, but you don’t have to content yourself with just a bunch of digital goodies that might blow away in the digital wind! There are hard copies available with your purchase as well. They’re quite material and may be used to install the game, or simply as an entertaining conversation piece.
And just like we always do, there’s more stuff down in the list below. Did we miss something? Let us know down in the comments, if you’d be so kind. We appreciate it.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions.
Albion Online: Closed beta
Ascent: The Space Game: Steam early access
Asta: Open beta
Beasts of Prey: Early access alpha
Boundless: Donor alpha
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha, development in crunch for beta
Chronicles: Runescape Legends: Closed beta
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Das Tal: Alpha expected in April
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Dungeon Fighter Online: Open testing
Eleven: Closed alpha
Eternal Crusade: Early access play on Steam
EVE: Valkyrie: Testing ends on March 12th, launch on March 28th
Ever, Jane: Closed beta
Gloria Victis: Donor pre-alpha
H1Z1: Paid early access, split into two games, launch expected in March
HEX: Unofficial open beta
Landmark: Paid closed beta, cash shop active, launching in spring
Life is Feudal: Early access beta
Line of Defense: Early access
MyDream: Closed testing open to donors
Nosgoth: Open beta
Origins of Malu: Combat module in early access
Otherland: Early access
Overwatch: Closed beta, launching May 24th
Paragon: Closed beta, early access starts March 18th
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
Shards Online: Pre-alpha
Shroud of the Avatar: Steam early access, backer testing
SkySaga: Ongoing NA and UK alpha events
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Stash: Backer alpha
The Repopulation: Alpha offline, moving to the Unreal engine, survival spinoff planned
Tree of Life: Paid early access
Tree of Savior: English beta testing events
Tribal Wars 2: Open testing
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Valiance Online: Pre-alpha testing
Venus Rising: Closed beta (adult/NSFW), currently on development hiatus due to Hero Engine issues