The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and often we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
This week, TERA surprised and disturbed all of us by announcing the sale of “mood clouds” that demonstrate the next level of emotes by placing a rainbow-vomiting cloud above your head. Just in case you weren’t being subtle enough with your emotions.
Read on for more bits of gaming news we didn’t want to leave behind!
New Games and Testing
- Luna Online: This MMO is returning to the US under the subtitle of Luna Online: Reborn with a few new features. The game will kick off its closed beta on March 30th.
- Escape from Tarkov: You know you’re a junkie for screenshots, so eyeball a new selection of pictures from this war-torn town showing day-to-night transitions.
- Chronicle: RuneScape Legends: The card game spin-off of the popular fantasy MMO began its early access launch. The beta will begin on March 23rd.
- Perfect World International: The game’s “largest ever” content update, Elysium, is coming soon with a max-level dungeon, customizable homestead, and PvP tournaments. PWI also announced that it will be heading to Steam soon.
- Final Fantasy XIV: Patch 3.22 made small adjustments to its PvP fights, most specifically the new Feast arena.
- War Thunder: The Battle March update added a slew of new vehicles, including Russian and Soviet tanks and planes, as well as a pair of winter maps. Players also have a new German fighter plan, the Do.335, to fly. [Thanks Boris!]
- Destiny: The game’s 2.2.0 update is coming on April 12th with new PvE challenges, more gear, a new quest, and an increased max light.
Events and Giveaways
- Spellweaver: This card game is hosting a special limited tournament today with a $5,000 prize pot.
- Diablo III: Enter to win one of 30 prize bundles from Blizzard for the game’s anniversary! [Thanks Michael!]
Odds and Ends
- Hearthstone: Excited about the Whispers of the Old Gods expansion? Check out this interview with Lead Designer Ben Brode about the new set and design philosophy behind certain cards.
- Gunz the Duel: The South Korean relaunch of this long-running PvP shooter happened this past week. Will it come back to the west? No clue.
- Dota 2: The studio is supporting custom game developers with a new game pass that can be purchased and used by players to access various perks and modes.
- Warframe: The sci-fi shooter experienced its first-ever DDoS attack this past week and survived. The studio gave players an update about its security plans and what it was doing to compensate those affected. [Thanks ZenDadaist!]
- Forge: The company behind the game-capture software that’s currently in beta announced that it had secured $4.5 million in seed funding from investors.
- Elder Scrolls Online: Read up on this short interview with Creative Director Rich Lambert for a picture of how the game has developed since launch!
- The Division: Did you hear the news? One week after the game’s launch, and a player had already maxed out everything with 130 hours invested.
Stronghold Kingdoms, a mobile MMO reboot of the 2001 strategy classic, will be coming to iOS and Android this summer. Curious? Check out the game’s trailer and see if there’s substance here or just fluff:
Armored Warfare takes an in-depth look at the armored CRAB, regarded to be the best scout vehicle in the game to date. Sometimes being light on your feet (or wheels) is more important than carrying around serious firepower!
A trailer for a card game might not be inherently thrilling, but Star Crusade tries its hardest to make it so. Check out this game’s launch trailer and see if it might be the CCG for you!
Get a sneak peek of World of Warcraft’s appearance on the TV show Face Off! [Thanks Serrenity!]