The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
Today is Easter, and a few MMORPGs are getting into the spirit of the spring holiday with events, eggs, and all sorts of bunny benevolence. Dark Age of Camelot heralds the return of the Rites of Spring, World of Warcraft opens the doors of Noblegarden, Cabal 2 is being invaded by the Easter Moon Bunny, Portal Knights is hosting an Easter egg hunt, Skyforge has all sorts of Eastery contests going on, and even ARK has a giant egg-laying hare in its bestiary.
New Games and Testing
- Seas of Gold: If you’re into piratey games, we’ll dubiously point you to this new title and wish you the best of luck. Make sure to read the awkwardly translated FAQ before you start out!
- Paladins: There’s a new character on deck, Ying. We should be hearing more about her shortly!
- Kings and Heroes: A new open-world fantasy action-RPG? Oh, you betcha. This game was just announced and will head into Steam early access fairly soon. [Thanks Dartoxer!]
- Armored Warfare: Update 0.14 — please excuse the decimals — continues to expand the game, this time with a new PvP map (Highwall), a pair of PvE missions, and the introduction of the replay system.
- Dragon Nest: The Twisted Territory is now open for business, enticing players into its demented trap that includes six new dungeons.
- Guild Wars 2: No, you didn’t miss a massive Living World drop; the fantasy game merely deployed a small batch of fixes and polish tweaks to the existing game.
Events and Contests
- TERA: If you’re into the whole strongbox/lockbox scene, then TERA has extra goodies for anyone who opens one through the 28th.
- Skyforge: With the first season of its Pantheon War over, Skyforge took us through the results and in-game fallout.
- Worlds Adrift: The winners are in for the game’s alliances contest. Some of the lucky ones will get to have their names added to an item’s description in the launched game.
Odds and Ends
- Ubisoft: Vivendi is attempting a hostile takeover of the games company. To combat this move, the Ubisoft staff is threatening to quit if this goes through. Stay tuned!
- World of Tanks: Quantic Foundry posted more results of its gamer motivation profiles, particularly in the area of strategy games. One interesting discovery was that World of Tanks “has remarkably broad age appeal.”
- Esports: A new startup company, Esports Hero, has raised $1 million already to finance cash tournaments. Time to quit your day job and play video games nonstop?
- Grim Dawn: There are some powerful new modding tools in this ARPG, including a quest and conversation editor.
- Lineage 2: There’s a big server merge coming on April 13th, as Shilen, Magmeld, and Bartz be consolodated into a shard called Freya.
Forsaken Worlds Mobile’s newest and biggest update ever added epic dungeons to the game. Curious what these look like? Not-so-coincidentally, there’s a trailer to satisfy that curiosity.
Project Gorgon’s been adding a ton of great stuff to the game lately, including the playable bat class, animal armor, and new weather effects. Check out this hilarious video update for the full rundown:
Get a look at ARK’s eggcellent Easter adventures! [Thanks Kinya!]
Doom revealed its new multiplayer modes this past week. Excited yet?