The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
This past week ARK: Survival of the Fittest released to several other platforms, including Mac, Linux, and Steam OS. Will anything stop the world-conquering march of these terrible thunder lizards and their fans? If you’re still alive after their rampage, read on for more news and videos including stories from Saga of Lucimia, Diablo III, and DC Universe Online!
New Games and Testing
- Mabinogi Duel: This digital card game battler based on the MMORPG has launched in South Korea. There is no word whether Nexon will be taking it worldwide.
- RUST: Controversy over gender assignment or no, RUST is having no problem moving (virtual) boxes. The survival game has racked up 3.5 million sales so far in early access.
- Versus: This indie PvP game recently is looking to get approved on Steam Greenlight. Seven fighting styles and non-target combat? Should be interesting!
- H1Z1: The community has put together the “AutoDrome” for races and stunt driving before the game’s upcoming wipe.
- Escape from Tarkov: Read up on this game’s skill system — how it’s set up, what affects what, and how players will advance each one.
- Shroud of the Avatar: The latest Update of the Avatar covers the making of Central Brittany, a postmortem of Release 28, and more!
- ArcheAge: This April update changes a few skills, improves the skill queue system, and paves the way for limited-time events.
- EverQuest II: A members-only patch is coming later this month with 40 new collections — and one super-secret collection!
- Soulworker Online: The game has secured a publisher for its upcoming NA and EU launch: Gameforge.
- Guardians of Divinity: A recent patch allows players to participate in a “Doomsday Battle” to fight gods like Odin and Zeus.
- DC Universe Online: Episode 23 came out, continuing the New Gods and Kryptonian storylines and adding a couple of new operations.
- Heroes & Generals: The Churchill — Inglorious Guns update has a new machine gun, pistol, and uniforms for the troops.
- Spellweaver: A small patch made a few card adjustments and launched the game’s referral program.
- Allods Online: This MMO has a couple of community acitivities going on right now, including a Warden event and a treasure hunt.
- EVE Online: Fanfest 2016 is coming this week, so bone up on the schedule and activities of this yearly convention!
- Warframe: Speaking of fan get-togethers, TennoCon is coming in July to London, Ontario Canada.
Odds and Ends
- League of Legends: Keeping control over the toxicity in this game is a legendary task, which is why the social systems team is turning to science for a helping hand.
- Warframe: Is Warframe’s economy cleverly designed? The author of this Gamasutra essay makes the case that it is indeed.
- Diablo III: Lead World Designer Leonard Boyarsky left Blizzard to join up with Obsidian Entertainment.
- Ingress: The ARG has reactivated portal submissions (for a small area in Japan) and is looking at how it will process such submissions in the future. [Thanks Nordavind!]
- Neverwinter: The art team talks about its contribution to the new Portobello’s Campaign update.
It took the Path of Exile community four months to do it, but the players finally figured out how to craft The Goddess Unleashed. There are also some new weapon skins available for purchase. So what does this awesome sword look like in action? Check it out!
Das Tal’s art team whipped up this video showing the creation of concept art for a new biome in the game.
Have questions for Saga of Lucimia? Sure you do! One of the game’s developers sat down and answered nearly eight minutes of queries from the community about the upcoming MMO.
Square-Enix is busy making a PvP online game for Japan called Figureheads. Since it involves mechs battling, we thought you all would be interested. The studio recently released a new “company” into Figureheads: Zendel & Sons.
Heroes of the Storm’s Azmodan decided to give up his demon life for a new career of… basketball? Seriously, folks, we can’t make this stuff up.
Kritika Online is launching this May… on a southeast Asia server. Hey, it might come overseas! The cell-shaded action MMO put out a crazy trailer that is a decent substitute for coffee if you need to wake up in the morning.