The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
Richard Garriott (Ultima Online, Shroud of the Avatar) has penned an autobiography called Life at the Extremes in which he talks about all of his life’s crazy adventures. You’ll have to wait a little while to read it, however, as it won’t be out until next January. In the meantime, check out lots of online gaming news, including stories from DC Universe Online, ARK, Eternal Crusade, and more!
New Games and Testing
- Survarium: The team shared some of its upcoming plans for the game, most notably the decision to concentrate on the PvP mode as the core of the title and then build the rest of it on that.
- Gigantic: The devs are merging the EU and NA servers together “for a time” during the beta to facilitate more matches.
- Worlds Adrift: A dev diary waxes poetic — literally — about the game setting and its backstory.
Patches and Expansions
- Flyff: The Turning Point Part 1 expansion that came out earlier this year in Asia will be coming to Europe and North America later in 2016. According to the PR statement, it should be good: “Generations of Korean and Japanese players celebrated this extraordinary content update together.” [Source: press release]
- Heroes of the Storm: The 2016 spring champion’s mount — a spiffy-looking hoverboard — will be added to the game’s store in the next update. Is it something you’d drop $5 to get?
- Grim Dawn: Modding tools are on the way this month for this ARPG, followed by a content update called The Hidden Path. In this update, you’ll choose to go down one of three paths set forth by witches. Good luck!
- Skyforge: Get the full patch notes for this week’s Reapers’ Revenge update!
Odds and Ends
- Wakfu: This cute MMO is getting a visual revamp of Monk Island, and the devs are all-to-eager to talk about the process of bringing the zone up to code.
- DCUO: Need help choosing your powers? Sure you do, you ninny-headed cottonmuggins! Well now there’s a guide for that. Enjoy!
- Grand Theft Auto Online: A petition involving 70 actual biker crews is asking Rockstart to make motorcycle-themed content for the game. Can’t make this stuff up, folks.
- League of Legends: Asian pop star Jay Chou purchased his very own professional LoL team, the Taipei Assassins, and renamed it as Team J.
- RUST: “RUST sales grew 74% when we added female models with forced gender,” says Garry Newman.
Eternal Dawn’s dev team came together to talk about the title’s progress, show off some of the gameplay, and answer questions from the community.
What happens when you merge video games and live acting together? Apparently, Heroes Must Die. The game had a performance this past weekend and will be reprising the show at PAX. Check out its trailer to get a handle on this concept:
We’ve got a spiffy new ARK: Survival of the Fittest trailer for you to celebrate the game’s imminent arrival on PlayStation 4 this summer!