The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
This week Planet of Heroes leaped onto the scene with promising mobile MOBA. We’ve got that plus stories and videos from Overwatch, No Man’s Sky, Elder Scrolls Online, Final Fantasy XI, TERA, Shards Online, Aion, and more, all waiting for you after the break!
New Games and Testing
- Escape from Tarkov: Take a gander at some new screenshots from this upcoming multiplayer military shooter.
- Paragon: The banhammer has arrived, with the devs suspending 27,000 players for in-game activities. There’s also a patch in the works for this week that will never several characters. Fun times.
- Winning Putt: This golf MMO continues to expand its open beta offerings, with two new missions, guild points, summer decor, and a day and night cycle. [Source: Press release]
- No Man’s Sky: This highly anticipated game’s 16-track album can be pre-ordered on iTunes and through Laced Records. The team also released a new track that you can listen to below.
- Granado Espada: This fantasy MMO rolled out a double–hitter of new Symphonia stories to its European playerbase this week.
- Flyff: The game’s next “expansion,” Turning Point Part 1, is scheduled for EU and US on August 16th. This will be followed by server merges in Germany and America. [Source: Press release]
- Tribes: Ascend: Patch 1.4 Parting Gifts PTS 2 is now available, with the removal of screenshake and the consolidation of sidearms and automatics into the same category.
- Asta: Myth I: Wrath of the Berserkers has landed with an update to both PvP (with a new battleground) and PvE (with a new world boss and hard mode for raids).
- Aion: Learn more about the EU’s coming 5.0 update with this post that covers lore and new areas.
- TERA: Prepare for the end… of TERA’s guild competition seasons. The final round is currently running and will conclude on August 16th.
Odds and Ends
- Final Fantasy XI: The game’s producer and director are participating in a public AMA on Monday, July 25th, so get your questions ready!
- Counter-Strike Global Operations: Popular streamer PhantomLord was banned from Twitch, possibly for participating in online gambling using the game.
- Doodle Jump: E-sports fever has hit this unlikely candidate, as Doodle Jump is planning an e-sports league with tournament gameplay. And no, it is not April 1st. We checked.
- Elder Scrolls Online: Explore the history behind the Ruins of Mazzatun in this new lore piece.
- The Division: Whoops! The game had to take measures to correct an “infinite stack bonus” that was causing some minor havoc.
- Stardew Valley: Good news for Mac players — Stardew Valley is coming to the system on July 29th!
- Overwatch: There’s a 100-page graphic novel in the works to be released by Dark Horse Comics in April 2017.
Planet of Heroes is My.com’s attempt at developing a smash hit mobile MOBA for Android, iOS, and Windows Phones. Will it boom or bust? We’ll find out soon, as the game’s going into beta this summer with a release later in 2016.
HeroWarz officially launched this past week and released a new character for the action RPG: Jerry the slugger. She’s kind of awesome, although something sinister must have happened to her shirt.
Take a look at Shards Online’s recent update, with necromancy and player shops, in this hilarious and informative video.
Continent of the Ninth Seal (C9) is bringing out a big summer update on July 26th with a level cap increase and new areas to explore. Get excited with this teaser trailer: