Let’s make something clear: Shroud of the Avatar has not launched, it’s just handled its final server wipe and will now be persistent moving forward. Which is different from launch because the developers say so. It was a pretty big deal when it happened, considering that the developers also ran a big telethon at the same time. There’s also a land “rush” of sorts, but if you didn’t buy in at a big tier ages ago, it’ll probably be a while before you need to worry about that.
Elsewhere in the beta world, there was… well, testing. You know.
- The open beta for Ghost in the Shell: First Assault: Stand Alone Complex Online has officially kicked off. Whether or not you will enjoy the game is an open question, but there’s no doubt that it’s making an exceptionally large withdrawal from the World Capital Letter & Colon Reserve.
- If you don’t have enough card games in your life, you can at least read about Elder Scrolls Legends. The NDA has dropped. But it’s not quite open, so you’ll have to just settle for reading about it or telling others about it.
- The kickoff for Albion Online‘s last test phase is now planned out. Do you get in on August 1st, or do you have to wait until August 3rd? Check the handy schedule to know, and plan your week accordingly.
- Lost Ark is heading into beta on August 24th in Korea. There are still no firm details on localizing the game, but a lot will depend upon how well it does in Korea.
- Hey, isn’t Twin Saga hitting beta soon? It is! You should take a look at its combat to see if you want to pay attention when it’s in testing, huh?
This is just a sampling of stuff that’s in testing, of course; there are more titles in the list we keep down below. If something dropped in a cash shop without letting us know or surreptitiously changed test phases, please, do let us know about it down in the comments.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Closed beta, open beta planned soon
Albion Online: Closed beta, final test starts August 1st
Boundless: Donor alpha
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Children of Ur: Open alpha
Crossout: Closed beta
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
Das Tal: Ongoing alpha tests, summer alpha currently active
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Eleven: Closed alpha
Eternal Crusade: Early access play on Steam
Ever, Jane: Closed beta
Fragmented: Closed backer beta
Gigantic: Closed beta
Gloria Victis: Early Access on Steam
H1Z1: Paid early access, split into two games
HeroWarz: Closed beta
HEX: Unofficial open beta
LawBreakers: Closed alpha
Life is Feudal: Early access beta
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
Master x Master: Alpha test
MyDream: Closed testing open to donors
Origins of Malu: Development suspended
Otherland: Early access
Paladins: Closed beta
Paragon: Early access; Open beta August 16th
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
Shards Online: Pre-alpha
Shroud of the Avatar: Steam early access, final server wipe has occurred
SkySaga: Ongoing NA and UK alpha events
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Stash: Backer alpha
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Culling: Early access testing
The Repopulation: Alpha offline, moving to the Unreal engine, survival spinoff Fragmented in early access
Tree of Life: Open beta
Tribal Wars 2: Open testing
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Twin Saga: Closed beta, launching in August
Valiance Online: Pre-alpha testing
World of Warcraft: Legion: Closed beta, launching August 30th