The MMO industry moves along at the speed of information, and sometimes we’re deluged with so much news here at Massively Overpowered that some of it gets backlogged. That’s why there’s The MOP Up: a weekly compilation of smaller MMO stories and videos that you won’t want to miss. Seen any good MMO news? Hit us up through our tips line!
This week we learned that Dota 2’s forums got majorly hacked back in July to the tune of two million accounts. We’ve got that plus stories and videos from Neverwinter, Age of Conan, World of Tanks, Hearthstone, and more, all waiting for you after the break!
New Games and Testing
- Bluehole: Tough luck for those hoping that Bluehole was working on a new MMO. Instead, the studio has just released a mobile title called Raid Master on Android devices (iOS this fall).
- Guardians of Ember: On the plus side, Runewaker is coming out with a mobile MMORPG this fall called Guardians of Ember. According to its press release, this game is “a unique combination of hack’n’slash and traditional MMORPG with a focus on action-oriented combat in PVE and PVP as well as near endless character optimization.”
- Dreadnaught: This class-based multiplayer space battler is making its way to Gamescom this month, with a new onslaught mode in the works for the fall.
- Age of Wushu Dynasty: This mobile title got a Master Tamer update, which included a “25v25 faction war system, six unique combat pets, new treasure refinement systems, and more.” So refine that treasure already! [Source: press release]
- Age of Conan: A small August 10th patch fixed a Demonologist issue and improved the raid finder.
- Neverwinter: Guild alliances are now available on the Xbox One. These alliances help out smaller guilds by allowing them to pool resources to match the big boys.
- Heroes and Generals: The patch headline says it all: “Five new tanks and half the grind!” The grind is referring to rank progression, which should go faster now.
Odds and Ends
- Fangold: The digital card game made to fund Land of Britain now has a new website. Enjoy!
- World of Tanks: The tank battler is launching on FACEIT, a tournament management and matchmaking platform.
- Cabal II: The Blader class from the first Cabal is reportedly heading to the sequel as well. The Blader is scheduled to arrive on August 30th on Korean servers.
- World of Warships: The game is getting something called “multicluster technology,” which basically means that servers will become more reliable and stable. [Thanks ThatLanteshGuy!]
- Dota 2: If you’ve used the game or its forums, change your passwords now! A major hacking event resulted in two million accounts compromised, as a thief made off with usernames, passwords, and email addresses.
Hearthstone’s lead developer jumps into the controversy swirling around Purify, a rather terrible Priest card. He explains the design decisions behind it and said that it won’t be used in arena mode for now.