Depending on your definitions, Star Citizen is already pretty persistent. For example, it’s already persistently crowdfunding, persistently putting out new ships for the price of a used car, and persistently drawing accusations of “scam” from people who don’t know what scams are. But its persistent universe got some love with the most recent gameplay trailer. Yes, there’s actually a game in there beneath all of the debates. It also passed another crowdfunding milestone, but as mentioned, that’s persistent.
Other beta news? Aw, shucks, why not. You earned it.
- Fractured Space is launching its beta on September 15th, with more details promised at PAX West. It’s been in early access for about two years now, but this is definitely a step toward something, that’s for sure.
- Ever, Jane is now in open beta. Good news for anyone who likes ballroom dancing, political intrigue, and insult-based PvP; bad news for anyone who was hoping that the game would shift design radically and start having Jane Austen characters killing rats for levels. Which actually sounds pretty awesome.
- All the cool kids these days have spinoff survival games, and now Divergence Online is getting one too. Don’t you want to be cool? It’s a good thing that this market has nothing but potential for growth and no risk of oversaturation.
- All of the cool kids these days are also on Early Access on Steam, so Project Genom is getting in on that action in October. October is the month when the coolest kids show up. Prove otherwise.
- Revelation Online has been showing off its systems, and that includes a system that lets you level up when you’re ready rather than when the game lets you. It’s also selling founder’s packs, though, so it’s not turning your entire world around.
- Worlds Adrift is looking for signups for alpha testing. Wondering what it’s like in the game? Why not check out a diary of the testing life?
And there’s a list! A list of games in testing. It’s right down below. Let us know if something snuck a cash shop in without us noticing what was happening, or just share your thoughts on a current beta you’re enjoying. If you’d like to argue the fine points of terminology instead, we can’t really stop you, but it might not be a fun Friday.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Closed beta, open beta planned soon
Albion Online: Closed beta, final test starts August 1st
Boundless: Donor alpha
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Children of Ur: Open alpha
Crossout: Closed beta
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Eleven: Closed alpha
Eternal Crusade: Early access play on Steam
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Fragmented: Closed backer beta
Gigantic: Closed beta
Gloria Victis: Early Access on Steam
H1Z1: Paid early access, split into two games
HeroWarz: Closed beta
HEX: Unofficial open beta
LawBreakers: Closed alpha
Life is Feudal: Early access beta
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
Master x Master: Alpha test
MyDream: Closed testing open to donors
Origins of Malu: Development suspended
Otherland: Early access
Paladins: Closed beta
Paragon: Open beta
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
Shards Online: Pre-alpha
SkySaga: Ongoing NA and UK alpha events
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Stash: Backer alpha
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Culling: Early access testing
The Exiled: Ongoing alpha tests, summer alpha currently active; formerly Das Tal
The Repopulation: Alpha offline, moving to the Unreal engine, survival spinoff Fragmented in early access
Tree of Life: Open beta
Tribal Wars 2: Open testing
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Twin Saga: Closed beta, launching in August
Valiance Online: Pre-alpha testing
World of Warcraft: Legion: Closed beta, launching August 30th