My earliest PC games were space sims, 4X games, and then, naturally, RPGs — especially sandbox RPGs. MMORPGs seemed like a natural evolution for my inclinations (never mind my weird obsession with roguelikes).
But it seems like a lot of MMORPG players come from other corners of the gaming industry entirely. I see a lot of folks whose gateway drugs to MMORPGs were shooters, and much more recently, MOBAs, and they often have very different ideas about what an MMO is compared to RPG players.
Where did you come from — and which gaming genre(s) do you play most often besides MMORPGs? To the pollmobile!
Which gaming genre do you play most often besides MMORPGs? (Select up to three.)
- RPGs like The Elder Scrolls and KOTOR (30%, 226 Votes)
- Sandboxes and sims like The Sims and MineCraft (11%, 80 Votes)
- ARPGs like Diablo (13%, 94 Votes)
- MOBAs like League of Legends (4%, 30 Votes)
- Shooters like Halo (11%, 85 Votes)
- Strategy games (16%, 119 Votes)
- Puzzlers, platformers, and fighting games (4%, 29 Votes)
- Mobile or casual games (4%, 32 Votes)
- Some other genre entirely (tell us down below) (6%, 42 Votes)
- None - I didn't and don't play other genres (2%, 12 Votes)
Total Voters: 381