This week in MMO crowdfunding news was one of the biggest we’ve had all year for crowdfunded games. Former
Firefall boss Mark Kern made good on his plans for “serial Kickstarting” with a small Indiegogo campaign for his new MMO, ; we sat down with Ember for a streamed interview; and indie sci-fi sandbox Hero’s Song’s John Smedley is hurtling along toward its Kickstarter funding goal of just over half a million bucks. Dual Universe
Richard Garriott and Starr Long announced they’ll both be attending Shroud of the Avatar’s SOTACon, posted the City of Titans lore behind its Bureau of Paranormal Investigations and Tracking, and got a new trailer, Ascent patched its beta, Ever, Jane is rolling out the Guardians beta next week, Elite Dangerous announced an October open beta, and AdventureQuest 3D confirmed beta 1 players will begin testing this year. Crowfall
And for those wondering about the state of
, a month ago the devs told forumgoers that their “goal is to have a playable client for it late in the year, but it will probably be a limited initial version.” Said A&B, “[W]e need to build the world and content still, which has a good ways to go.” The Repopulation
Read on for more on what’s up with MMO crowdfunding this week and the roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’ve got our eye on!
MOP’s Smed interview
VIDEO Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- Crowfall fans are in for a long, tall drink of information this weekend, poured straight from the minds of creators J. Todd Coleman and Gordon Walton. The pair sat down for…
Crowfall team answers dozens of community questions, confirms beta 1 players will test this year
- "I'm hip-deep in changes to all kinds of systems," says Project Gorgon's Eric Heimburg in a blog post this week, "and still trying different things out." And he means it!…
Project Gorgon revamps armor bonuses and food perks
- Frontier announced in this morning's newsletter that the beta for Elite: Dangerous' 2.2 patch, dubbed The Guardians, will kick off next week. "We’re thrilled to let you know that you’ll be…
Elite Dangerous’ 2.2 The Guardians hits PC beta next week
- Many people look at a game for its combat, however, there are many who also want a game with a variety of non-combat features. When it comes to a sandbox,…
DragonCon 2016: Garriott expounds on Shroud of the Avatar’s farming, food, and fancy footwork
- "Throw away your old screenshots! We've got a new video!" Ascent: The Space Game's James Hicks declared in note to press this week. "And it's not hideous!" Jokes aside, the…
Ascent: The Space Game’s got a new trailer, ‘and it’s not hideous!’
- On this week's Around the Verse, Star Citizen's Chris Roberts and Sandi Gardiner are back and teasing Citizen Con, which kicks off October 9th. The episode includes a report from the…
Star Citizen: Around the Verse teases Citizen Con, Roberts endorses Dual Universe
- Behaviour Interactive is counting down the days until the launch of Eternal Crusade. Yes, the game is officially launching on September 23rd for the North American PC market, with a…
Eternal Crusade plans pre-launch patch with guild-vs.-guild, new world map, and the return of PvE
- A refined and sophisticated setting such as the one in Ever, Jane deserves all of the luxuries that it can garner, don't you agree? The game's first open beta patch…
Ever, Jane opens the doors of its new circulating library
- Twitch is a vital part of marketing an up and coming video game, according to Pixelmage Games CEO John Smedley. In an interview with Games Industry, Smedley said that the…
Why Hero’s Song is leaning on Twitch to generate enthusiasm
- Dual Universe's Kickstarter has passed the halfway mark, with over $284,000 pledged of the $557,818 goal with a whopping 26 days to go. In its latest newsletter, Novaquark released a brand-new video of…
Dual Universe’s Kickstarter is now more than half funded
- Ex-Red 5 Studios CEO Mark Kern has taken to Indiegogo once more to finance his promised "massive planetary wargame," Ember. This second trip to gamers' wallets is part of Kern's…
Mark Kern’s Ember pays for a mining mech with its latest crowdfunding campaign
- Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen's September newsletter features an interview with Lead World Builder and Lead Environment Artist, John "Montreseur" Diasparra, who explains the process of putting Pantheon's world together…
This is how the world of Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is built
- Indie survival sandbox The Black Death has a dev blog out today apologizing for the delay in its latest test patch, which is expected to roll out "in the next…
The Black Death is working on new professions, skill trees, and the illness system
- One reason that you might want to bend all of your strength and will to demolishing certain factions in Albion Online is that certain enemy groups are the owners of…
Albion Online reveals powerful druid artifacts
- It's important to remember that Crowfall takes place in a fantasy world with fantastical creatures. Sure, there are sieges and politics to consider, but there are also critters roaming around…
Crowfall shows off the lore of the Bog Bear
- Do you know that feeling when you come across a game that has most, if not all, of your dream features -- even the farfetched ones that you'd abandoned hope…
DragonCon 2016: Richard Garriott on why Shroud of the Avatar will steal your life
- Interviews with developers often happen, and then players get to read the results afterward. But what if you could sit in on one live? MassivelyOP's MJ will be talking with…
The Stream team: Live interview with Hero’s Song’s Smedley
- Portalarium's Starr Long has hopped on Shroud of the Avatar's official forums for an extra round of player-submitted questions. Of note, Long says to expect more craftable clothing, more crafted…
Shroud of the Avatar Q&A homes in on crafting and economy
- It would be pretty disappointing if you could land on all sorts of planets in Star Citizen without ever uncovering more than abandoned sheds and arid landscapes, but that doesn't…
Star Citizen dataminer uncovers a huge city in the game’s files
- Fragmented is running with more horses under its hood today, thanks to an upgrade to the latest version of the Unreal Engine. The team said that ironing out all of…
Fragmented upgrades to newer Unreal Engine build
- You can download and play Wild Terra right now without having to pay a dime. The game has opened testing briefly for everyone, allowing you to play for free until…
Wild Terra is open to testing for everyone until September 14th
- AdventureQuest 3D hasn't been in closed beta testing for all that long, but the developers have decided that closed beta is boring and they'd rather be in open beta. Or…
AdventureQuest 3D is launching into open beta in October
- Player-run towns in Shroud of the Avatar have had the option of being on a tropical island since May. Of course, that option was mostly just a swapped set of trees…
Shroud of the Avatar plans improvements to tropical island towns and the economy
- Worlds Adrift's recent 48-hour alpha playtest has come and gone, and Bossa Studios would like to thank everyone who showed up and tried to wreck the servers. The team streamed and…
Worlds Adrift’s alpha playtest: Stealing boats and killing mynocks
- Pixelmage Games boss John Smedley has issued another update for Hero's Song Indiegogo watchers, who've pushed the game to $55,000 in crowdfunding thus far. Of note, he invites gamers to…
No need to upgrade your rig to play Smed’s Hero’s Song
- If you missed out on Chronicles of Elyria's Kickstarter but wanted to take part, you'll have a second chance. The game is launching its online store on October 3rd, and…
Chronicles of Elyria is launching its web store in early October
- After wandering around a crypt and finding a cool secret passage, MassivelyOP's MJ needs some fresh air. So this time she's going to explore the wilds of Shroud of the…
The Stream Team: Wandering the wilds of Shroud of the Avatar Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful. Work continues.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised 368k; plans October launch. AdventureQuest 3D
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Fully launched! (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Open donations/packages.
Caribbean Conquest (Invenio) – Kickstarter canceled (site has been taken offline).
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Open donations/packages
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful.
( Citadel of Sorcery MMO Magic, Inc.) – Open donations.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media)
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios)
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter over, donor preorder packs.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter live now, ends October 11.
( Eco Strange Loop Games)
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded June 2016; early access coming Sept.
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrionn Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, multiple times now.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage): Kickstarter canceled; Indiegogo live, ends mid-October.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment)
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations, no end date.
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks)
(Craneballs) – Successful Planet Nomads Kickstarter.
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game, LLC)
( Pumpkin Online Monique)
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
( The Repopulation Above & Beyond Technologies) – In middle of engine do-over.
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; early access planned for Sept. 2016.
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon.
( Shards Online Citadel Studios)
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Final wipe was in July 2016.
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – In middle of year-long revamp after funding surge.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017. Ascent 2016 trailer