This week in MMO crowdfunding news,
stole the show, first with a video showcasing its extraordinarily Star Citizen detailed character face tech, then rather unintentionally in a Kotaku piece that sought to investigate the game’s controversial crowdfunded development process.
continued enhancements to housing and melee combat; Fragmented tidied up its new dynamic events system; Gloria Victis prepped for its fifth alpha round; Worlds Adrift revealed abilities usable by the Paladin and Warrior classes and streamed an Hero’s Song AMA on Twitch; and offered a preview of its blocking mechanics, UI, and graphics upgrade. Edengrad
We’d also like to express our condolences to the friends, guildies, and family of
, who passed away this week and was memorialized in-game using an in-progress system for craftable, customizable gravestones. Shroud of the Avatar player Lacey
Read on for more on what’s up with MMO crowdfunding this week and the roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’ve got our eye on!
Shroud of the Avatar: Estgard and memorials
Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- Kotaku has a long piece on Star Citizen out today, cobbled together over months of discussions with Star Citizen developers, anonymous and not. Julian Benson's Inside the Troubled Development of…
Star Citizen as the ‘unwieldy, ever-changing dream project’
- When you write for an MMORPG website that covers literally hundreds of games and could probably add in hundreds more that are extinct, are in operation only overseas, or are…
Massively OP’s guide to the best upcoming indie MMORPGs, part one
- How would you describe Shards Online? MassivelyOP's MJ found the perfect way to answer that question: She nabbed Derek "Supreem" Brinkmann to do it! Who better to answer all your…
The Stream Team: Derek Brinkmann dishes about Shards Online
- It's been a "longer road" to the first beta test than Camelot Unchained's team originally anticipated, but the good news is that progress is definitely being made. Need proof? Then…
Camelot Unchained makes progress on the ‘long road’ to beta
- It's been quite some time since MassivelyOP's MJ dived into Shards Online to show it off to you, and much has changed since then. She's excited to get back in…
The Stream Team: Fishing and frolicking in Shards Online
- Indie PvP sandbox The Exiled, formerly known as Dal Tal, is in the middle of a massive upgrade to its user interface. Fairytale Distillery's Alexander Zacherl says that the team's been…
The Exiled is thoroughly revamping its user interface
- The small team at Forsaken Legends wants to bring fans up to speed on the "massive" updates that it has rolled out for the upcoming fantasy sandbox over the past…
Forsaken Legends brings you up to speed on its ‘massive’ updates
- Harvesting in an MMORPG is just the boring gruntwork you have to trudge through before you can get to the glory of crafting -- or it is? That's just one…
Crowfall’s Raph Koster and Thomas Blair on the challenges of MMORPG harvesting
- Dual Universe has a fresh dev diary out this week on how it's employing voxel technology for its builder-centric space sandbox. "The idea of voxel is not new," Novaquark's Jean-Christophe…
How voxel tech is powering sci-fi sandbox Dual Universe
- This week's Star Citizen 10 for the Chairman is being called a special edition in that Chris Roberts and Head of the Global Character Pipeline Josh Herman selected questions from…
Star Citizen unmasks its intricate facial design system
- WCCFtech has an interesting interview with Dual Universe's Jean-Christophe Baillie out this week that sheds some fresh light on the upcoming sci-fi sandbox. Baillie says that even if five million…
Dual Universe dev on single shards, launch schedule, consoles, and VR
- What are the most crucial features to have in an MMO before you go into alpha testing? Shards Online already has a lot of mechanics in place, but it was…
Shards Online adds fishing before it hops to alpha
- Total War: ArenaAn ecosystem is coming to ECO! Though if you consider the survival sandbox's name, that probably doesn't come as much of a surprise. The devs told Kickstarter backers this…
ECO’s ecosystem will release October 5th
- Feeling lost among the stars, especially when you run out of fuel and find yourself drifting in the cosmos and contemplating a new line of work? Elite: Dangerous' development team…
Elite: Dangerous adds more fighter support, ‘mysterious’ planetary discoveries
- Hero's Song's Indiegogo update today reveals how far the game has come, both in terms of its finances and its design. "We're hard at work on finishing the game," writes…
Hero’s Song updates Indiegogo backers on funding, AI, and Steam
- Gloria Victis has a way of downplaying its updates for its fiercely loyal tester playerbase, but this past weekend's announcements deserve a spotlight. The star is the game's new global…
Gloria Victis debuts its dynamic events system
- Chronicles of Elyria's weekly update to Kickstarter watchers is brief, but it heralds the 2.1 release of the website, which now includes a private messaging system, better moderation tools, improved…
Chronicles of Elyria teases online store, taiga biome
- The Repopulation's spun-off survival sandbox, Fragmented, is pivoting in a big way, MOP reader DK pointed out to us over the weekend. In a message on its official forums last…
Fragmented makes Xbox One plans, experiments with VR
- Shroud of the Avatar has the honor of being one of the first MMORPGs to tease Halloween content this year, meaning it's only about two months behind all the damn…
Shroud of the Avatar teases Halloween content, Estgard, and SOTAcon Hero’s Song AMA stream (and
Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful. Work continues.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised 368k; plans October launch. AdventureQuest 3D
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Fully launched! (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Open donations/packages.
Caribbean Conquest (Invenio) – Kickstarter canceled (site has been taken offline).
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Open donations/packages
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful.
( Citadel of Sorcery MMO Magic, Inc.) – Open donations.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media)
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios)
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter over, donor preorder packs.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter live now, ends October 11.
( Eco Strange Loop Games)
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded June 2016; early access coming Sept.
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrionn Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, multiple times now.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage) – Kickstarter canceled; Indiegogo live, ends mid-October.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) – Successful Kickstarter, now playable.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations, no end date.
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) – Doom, mostly.
(Craneballs) – Successful Planet Nomads Kickstarter.
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game, LLC)
( Pumpkin Online Monique)
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
( The Repopulation Above & Beyond Technologies) – In middle of engine do-over.
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; early access planned for Sept. 2016.
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon.
( Shards Online Citadel Studios)
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Final wipe was in July 2016.
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – In middle of year-long revamp after funding surge.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017. Star Citizen facial tech
With thanks to Kinya, Anon, and Lorgarn!