This week in MMO beta news, RIFT announced a delay for the beta of its upcoming Starfall Prophecy expansion, first to next week, now indefinitely. “It’s not ready to welcome hordes of players yet,” the studio’s Linda “Brasse” Carlson told our commenters yesterday. “We want the focus and feedback to be on content and features, not tech issues, and I think our fellow players prefer to wait for a good experience.” Trion has promised to announce a new date when it has one.
Here’s what else happened on the testing front this week:
- Revelation Online announced its first round of closed beta will begin October 25th. Don’t have a key? Make sure you enter one of our giveaways!
- Albion Online has delayed its launch and extended its ongoing beta deep into 2017, frustrating fans.
- Star Citizen brought its A game to CitizenCon — its alpha game, that is. (Squadron 42 can’t say the same, as it’s now been delayed into 2017.)
- Cloud Pirates, the Allods Online-inspired dirigible MOBA, enters its closed beta test next week.
- Chronicles of Elyria explained how players will earn spendable points for, among other things, helping to test the game.
- Lineage II: Revolution — that’s a mobile MMO — abruptly canceled its beta test. We assume the game’s launch won’t be November as planned.
- Project Genom landed on Steam early access.
And as always, here’s our list of games in various test phases around the MMO universe. Is there something missing or something that slipped live without our noticing? Let us know!
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Closed beta, open beta October 18
Albion Online: Closed beta will last well into 2017
Boundless: Donor alpha
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Children of Ur: Open alpha
Cloud Pirates: Closed beta begins Oct 18
Crossout: Closed beta
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Eleven: Closed alpha
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Fragmented: Early access
Gigantic: Closed beta
Gloria Victis: Early Access on Steam
H1Z1: Paid early access, split into two games
Hero’s Song: Alpha in October
HEX: Unofficial open beta
LawBreakers: Closed alpha
Life is Feudal: Closed alpha
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
Master x Master: Alpha test
MyDream: Closed testing open to donors
Origins of Malu: Development suspended
Osiris: New Dawn: Early access
Paladins: Closed beta
Paragon: Open beta
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
Revelation Online: Closed beta begins Oct 25
SamuTale: Closed alpha
Shards Online: Pre-alpha
SkySaga: Ongoing NA and UK alpha events
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Stash: Backer alpha
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Culling: Early access testing
The Exiled: Ongoing alpha tests, summer alpha currently active; formerly Das Tal
The Repopulation: Alpha offline, moving to the Unreal engine
Tree of Life: Open beta
Tribal Wars 2: Open testing
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Valiance Online: Alpha testing
Wild Terra: Steam early access on December 1st