Life is weird. You would think that once Robocraft was a thing I would never have played anything else, simply because it’s a game about building your own robots and then making them fight. Yet it hasn’t really made it onto my radar before, although perhaps that will change now that the game has launched into beta. That’s a good thing for all who care for robots, really.
Other beta news? There was a bit, here and there!
- Steam Early Access has added Cloud Pirates to its ranks; the game has been in general Early Access since February, but now it’s on Steam as well. Convenient!
- Revelation Online has soft launched… for players with early access to the soft launch. The full soft launch isn’t until March 6th. Yes, it’s early access to early access. Development is crazy. You can catch up on your knowledge of the classes while you wait for general admission, if you like.
- Ashes of Creation is still in its alpha stages, but it’s still letting you take a look at its gameplay, so that’s pretty cool. It’ll likely change quite a bit over time, but hey, first look!
- The Darkfall resurrection project Rise of Agon is hitting launch on May 5th. That’s a few months away yet, but it still fits on the calendar.
- Wondering about Crowfall’s current state of test crafting? We had a deep dive into it with a full hands-on piece, so if you missed it, you’ll want to check that out. The developers also showed off the upcoming Fae Assassin (who is a fae who assassinates, not an assassin of the fae).
Your quest now, should you choose to accept it, is to head into the comments and let us know about what betas you’re playing. There are more on the list below, you see. You can also let us know if something on that list has launched while claiming it’s still in testing, which is something that probably didn’t happen back in 2006, but who knows at this point? That was a while ago.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Open beta
Albion Online: Closed beta, launching July 17th
Boundless: Donor alpha
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Children of Ur: Open alpha
Cloud Pirates: Early access
Crossout: Closed beta
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Eleven: Closed alpha
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Fragmented: Early access
Gigantic: Open beta
Gloria Victis: Early Access on Steam
H1Z1: Paid early access, split into two games
HEX: Unofficial open beta
LawBreakers: Closed alpha
Life is Feudal: Closed beta
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
Master x Master: Alpha test
Mu Legend: Closed beta
MyDream: Closed testing open to donors
Origins of Malu: Development moving forward on battleground experience, MMO suspended
Osiris: New Dawn: Early access
Paladins: Closed beta
Paragon: Open beta
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
Revelation Online: Open beta for everyone starts on March 6th
SamuTale: Closed alpha
Shards Online: Pre-alpha
SkySaga: Ongoing NA and UK alpha events
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Stash: Backer alpha
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Culling: Early access testing
The Exiled: Early access; formerly Das Tal
The Repopulation: Ownership changed, testing reopens Q1 2017
Tree of Life: Open beta
Tribal Wars 2: Open testing
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Valiance Online: Alpha testing
Wild Terra: Steam early access
Worlds Adrift: Early access planned for Q1 2017