Remember when Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen bombed pretty badly on Kickstarter? The good news for fans is that the day when that happened is in the past in every way; the game just completed another round of funding, and now it’s on very stable financial footing with its 15-person team. To celebrate, it made a class so cool only the head developer can play it. If you thought that naming your own avatar a lord and the dominant force in an entire game world would be the apex of nerdy self-insertion, you were apparently wrong.
Other beta news does not, however, include quite so much stuff to have a smile and a giggle about. It’s mostly just news. See, we’ll show you.
- Another public test is taking place for MechWarrior Online’s skill tree system, and don’t worry if you don’t understand the revamp just yet. The announcement goes into extensive detail.
- The first OrbusVR test wrapped up, and there’s a lengthy discussion of how, exactly, everything went. There was good, there was bad, there were lessons learned. Everyone laughed as the test closed off with a joke. Probably.
- If you’re still waiting for Bless Online to start testing over here, the Russian testing was shut down and shelved “indefinitely” for revisions. That is not what might be considered a good result.
- Valiance Online is quietly keeping its head down, working hard, and also upping backer rewards. For some reason we think about superhero games this time of year, who knows why.
- Speaking of superhero games, who wants to completely separate powers from their effects for custom visual flair? Because City of Titans will let you do exactly that.
- Last but not least, sandbox MMO Arcfall has showed up out of nowhere to jump into early access, although it doesn’t appear to actually be up for purchase just yet. The important thing is that it’s going to be.
And, yes, there’s a list down below. There’s always a list. Let us know if something’s missing, jumped phases, or whatever. We appreciate it!
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Open beta
Albion Online: Closed beta, launching July 17th
Boundless: Donor alpha
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Children of Ur: Open alpha
Cloud Pirates: Early access
Crossout: Closed beta
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Edengrad: Early access
Eleven: Closed alpha
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Fragmented: Early access
Gigantic: Open beta
Gloria Victis: Early Access on Steam
H1Z1: Paid early access, split into two games
HEX: Unofficial open beta
LawBreakers: Closed beta weekends
Legends of Aria: Alpha, formerly known as Shards Online
Life is Feudal: Closed beta
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
Master x Master: Alpha test
Mu Legend: Closed beta
MyDream: Closed testing open to donors
Origins of Malu: Development moving forward on battleground experience, MMO suspended
Osiris: New Dawn: Early access
Paladins: Closed beta
Paragon: Open beta
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
SamuTale: Closed alpha
Sea of Thieves: Technical alpha
Secret World Legends: Closed beta
SkySaga: Open beta soft launch approaching, date not yet announced
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Stash: Backer alpha
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Culling: Early access testing
The Exiled: Early access; formerly Das Tal
The Repopulation: Closed alpha
Tree of Life: Open beta
Tribal Wars 2: Open testing
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Valiance Online: Alpha testing
Wild Terra: Steam early access
Worlds Adrift: Early access planned for Q1 2017