This week in MMO crowdfunding, indie sandbox
— whose 250,000 founders reportedly crowdfunded the game for almost $10,000,000 — formally launched. The buy-to-play isometric game has hardcore old-school flair with a potentially alienating PvP template, but it’s brought plenty of PvE content along for the ride in an attempt to woo a more diverse playerbase. Albion Online
made progress on its 64-bit test build, Project Gorgon plans to open its alpha next weekend, OrbusVR released a new lore piece, City of Titans showed off more of its UI, Camelot Unchained demoed arenas, Ashes of Creation picked a date for Fall of Oriath, and Path of Exile pushed its very first trial campaigns to testers. Oh yeah, and some Crowfall drama. Star Citizen
Read on for more on what’s up with MMO crowdfunding over the last week and the regular roundup of all the crowdfunded MMOs we’ve got our eye on.
Albion Online launch
VIDEO Recent MMO crowdfunding news
- Check out Camelot Unchained's first pass at a player inventory UI. What do you think? Looks pretty sharp, doesn't it? This glimpse was part of this week's development newsletter. It…
Camelot Unchained stabilizes the game engine and shows off inventory UI
- Calling it an "essential part of the game," grouping is this week's focus over at Ashes of Creation. Ashes of Creation's team is currently planning for a default group size…
Ashes of Creation talks about group dynamics and shows PAX demo locales
- Farewell Legionnaire, hello Cleric! As part of the Crowfall development team's decision to decouple races and classes, the former Legionnaire archetype dissolved in the aftermath and was reshaped into the…
Crowfall’s Cleric rises from the ashes of the Legionnaire
- After multiple false starts over the summer, Path of Exile has finally patched in its new microtransaction system as of last night. "In the new Microtransaction System, we've completely done…
Path of Exile’s microtransaction system is finally live
- Do you like pets, powersets, and behind-the-scenes development glances? Then you'll enjoy the nearly four hours of Valiance Online stream footage now available just below, which features a discussion of…
Valiance Online works with the community to develop and show off powersets
- We've been chatting about game economies this week here at Massively OP, so it's a happy coincidence than this week's episode of Around the Verse features Star Citizen's shopping kiosks…
Let’s go space shopping in this week’s Star Citizen Around the Verse
- I often joke with our readers that Massively OP is not an MMO uptime monitor, but darn if we don't feel like a Richard Garriott uptime monitor lately -- love…
Shroud of the Avatar’s Richard Garriott backs Neverdie’s ‘etherium blockchain gaming’ venture
- The tribes parade is still ongoing over at Chronicles of Elyria, as the fans aren't running out of questions and the developers aren't running out of patience in answering them.…
Chronicles of Elyria’s tribes will possess combat specialties
- Remember how Crowfall announced back in May that it was decoupling its race and class archetypes to allow players to mix-and-match more freely? This wasn't a one-and-done reveal; the team…
Crowfall hosts a race and class ‘show and tell’ session
- Path of Exile's Fall of Oriath expansion arrives August 4 - check out the release trailer and prepare for the microtransaction system tomorrow!
Path of Exile’s Fall of Oriath expansion arrives August 4
- Another day, another Star Citizen drama. German website Gamestar published an interview with Cloud Imperium Games this week, and between the paywall, Google translate, deliberate disinfo, and a quick game…
Star Citizen followers react to server capacity, star system count news
- Launch is here for Albion Online and it's popular enough that there are queues. Yes, login queues are being login queues. According to the most recent official status updates, the…
Albion Online is hitting login queues as Veteran players get to log in
- If you haven't figured it out, Shroud of the Avatar and Ultima Online's Richard Garriott is on a press tour lately for his new memoir, Explore/Create, in which he talks about…
MMORPG veteran Richard Garriott decries ‘space tourist’ label
- Some MMOs have launch days, but some MMOs are not Albion Online, which is claiming a good chunk of this week to officially release this long-awaited fantasy sandbox. You see,…
Albion Online expands its launch rollout
- Elite Dangerous' David Braben has a big spread in Rolling Stone's Glixel blog this week, and it's a fun read as he zips around discussing Trappist-1, Roman slavery, Star Wars,…
Elite Dangerous’ David Braben on communities, MMOs, F2P, and the space game genre
- Did you know that Brad McQuaid's Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen is not meant to be for everyone? Probably, because the game sort of likes to offer a mission statement…
Pantheon’s Brad McQuaid elaborates on designing for an audience
- Yeah, we're way far off from PAX West, but so what! Ashes of Creation has released a trailer today featuring PvP arena content that will be demoing at the Seattle…
PAX West 2017: Ashes of Creation’s PvP demo trailer
- Watch out, Comic-Con: Shroud of the Avatar's masterminds are on their way to rock your geeky world. Richard Garriott and Starr Long will host a panel on the upcoming game…
Shroud of the Avatar hopes to up its profile at San Diego Comic-Con this week
- Today's the day Albion Online shuffles off its beta coil! Legendary founders pack and legendary starter pack owners get a headstart that started this morning, and Massively OP's MJ is…
The Stream Team: Launch day adventures in Albion Online
- If it seems as if you've been hearing about Albion Online for a long time, you're not wrong. In fact, the game has delayed its testing periods multiple times for…
Albion Online raised almost $10M, officially launches today
- San Diego Comic-Con hasn't been known for much of an MMORPG presence in years, but Pantheon is showing up with a trailer in tow, showing off pre-alpha footage from the…
SDCC 2017: Pantheon invites you to ‘Bring Friends’ in its new trailer
- In an epic-length livestream this past weekend, the Valiance Online team showed off its development alpha test and discussed some of the systems and features that are going into this…
Valiance Online livestreams its development alpha test Pantheon’s grouping trailer
VIDEO Campaigns and crowdfunded MMOs we’re watching
(Société des Mondes Virtuels) – 3001SQ Kickstarter unsuccessful. Work continues.
(Artix Entertainment) – Raised AdventureQuest 3D 368k; beta began Oct 2016.
(Sandbox) – Launched July 2017. Albion Online
( Antraxx Team Antraxx) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Ascent: The Space Game Fluffy Kitten Studios) – Successful KS. Fully launched 2016.
(Intrepid Studios) – Successful KS. Ashes of Creation
(Cylinder) – Broke Protocol Unsuccessful KS. In free early access. (
Camelot Unchained City State) – Kickstarter successful; open donations/packages.
( Caribbean Conquest Invenio) – First KS canceled, second ended unsuccessfully.
( Contested Space Zon)
( Crowfall ArtCraft) – Kickstarter win, open packages, Indiegogo crowdfunding ongoing.
(Soulbound) – Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter successful, open packages.
( Citadel of Sorcery MMO Magic, Inc.) – Open donations.
( City of Titans Missing Worlds Media) – Successful KS; launch planned for fall 2018.
( Descent Underground Descendent Studios) – Successful KS.
Divergence Online ( Stained Glass Llama ) – Three campaigns; now in KS early access. (
Dogma: Eternal Night Prelude Games Factory): Kickstarter over, donor preorder packs.
( Dragon of Legends Thrive Games) – Successful Kickstarter.
( Dual Universe Novaquark) – Kickstarter funded, now has donor platform. Alpha delayed.
( Eco Strange Loop Games) – Funded, now in alpha.
(Huckleberry Games) – Edengrad Kickstarter funded; in early access.
( Elite: Dangerous Frontier Developments) – Funded and launched.
(Eleon) – Empyrion Online Kickstarter canceled; launched on Steam early access.
( Epic Space EpicSpace.net)
( Ever, Jane 3 Turn Productions) – Now in open beta.
( Global Adventures SubaGames) – Kickstarter ends July 30.
( Gloria Victis Black Eye Games) – Open donations, no end date; in early access.
( Greed Monger Greed Monger) – Abandoned, multiple times now.
(Crate Entertainment) – Funded and launched. Grim Dawn
( Guns of Icarus Muse) – Funded and launched.
( Hero’s Song Pixelmage) – KS canceled; Indiegogo. Canceled w/ refunds.
Infinity: Battlescape ( I-Novae Studios )
( HEX HEX Entertainment) – Funded and launched.
( Legends of Aria Citadel Studios) – Kickstarted as Shards Online. Currently in alpha.
( Life is Feudal Bitbox): Indiegogo ended. Currently in beta.
( LUX Chimera) – Kickstarter canceled.
( Maestros of the Anthymn String Theory) – Kickstarter canceled.
(Infinity Online Studios) – Mekria Kickstarter canceled.
(Archetype Studios) – Midair Kickstarter successful.
(Mizar Games) Nebula Online Kickstarter canceled; launched in November.
( Neo’s Land NeoJac Entertainment) – Open donations, no end date.
( Novus AEterno Taitale Studios)
(Ad Alternum) – OrbusVR KS funded March 2017.
(Hydrant Games) – Overpower Kickstarter unfunded; heading to early access.
( Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Visionary Realms) – Open donations, no end date.
( Pathfinder Online GoblinWorks) – Doom, mostly.
(Craneballs) – Planet Nomads Kickstarted, early access launched sans multiplayer.
( Pixel Starships SavySoda)
( Project Gorgon Elder Game) – Kickstarted in three tries + Indiegogo. In alpha.
( Pumpkin Online Monique) – Downgrading from MMORPG.
(Fairytale Distillery) – fka Das Tal; 2015 The Exiled KS unsuccesful. In Steam early access.
(Stephen Nichols) – Ongoing The Realm: Reawakened GoFundMe.
(Idea Fabrik) – Kickstarted twice by A&B. Back in alpha The Repopulation
(Darewise) – ROKH Kickstarter canceled; now in early access.
(Tarhead Studio) – Kickstarter successful. RUiN
( The Stomping Land Alex Fundora) – Abandoned.
( Sacrament Ferocity Unbound) – Kickstarter failed; Patreon ongoing.
( Shadow’s Kiss Clockwork Throne) – Ongoing Patreon.
( Shroud of the Avatar Portalarium) – Successful KS. Soft launch July 2016.
( Star Citizen Cloud Imperium) – Ongoing donations/packages.
( TUG Nerd Kingdom) – In middle of year-long revamp after funding surge.
(NeuronHaze) – Vigor Roads Kickstarter unsuccessful; early access planned for 2017. Ashes of Creation arenas