Let me tell you, I’m really glad that Ascent: Infinite Realm already has a publishing deal for the west, because otherwise I would be figuratively biting my nails about the game’s first beta test in South Korea. I only just learned it existed, sure, but it’s a game about steampunk mechs and airships. If we get superheroes and cats, that’s pushing most of my buttons right away.
More beta news? Sure, what the hey!
- Guess what else has hit closed testing? That’s right, it’s Ironsight! Which is also a game including mechs, and it’s also a game with a brand-new trailer for you to enjoy to coincide with beta.
- Wait, has something else hit closed testing? Sort of! OrbusVR is is still humming along nicely, with the fourth beta test ready to kick off, so it’s still doing what needs to be done.
- And is there another title? Yes, there is! Wild West Online started its early access alpha, so you can stroll into the… actually, on second thought, we don’t need to invite Will Smith memes. You can fill the rest of that in yourself.
- Has Crowfall joined the beta/early access/soft launch crew? No! In fact, it won’t be signing on until 2018 at this point, just to give the developers a bit more time. So you can wait longer.
- What about Forsaken Legend? It’s still out there! But it’s not an MMO any more. Or less of one. Terminology is weird.
- Last but not least, why is Lineage 2 Revolution not on this list? Because it launched! Shock and amazement.
That’s a lot of questions followed by shouted responses, but we assure you there is less shouting in our list of games in testing down below. You can still respond to us in the comments, though; we like to hear from you. Especially if some game swapped test phases without us knowing about it. Those are useful responses!
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Open beta
Boundless: Donor alpha
Camelot Unchained: Backer alpha
Children of Ur: Open alpha
Citadel: Forged with Fire: Early access
Closers: Closed beta
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
Dauntless: Closed beta
Dark and Light: Early access
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Edengrad: Early access
Eleven: Closed alpha
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Gloria Victis: Early access on Steam
H1Z1: King of the Kill: Paid early access
Just Survive: Paid early access
Legends of Aria: Final alpha, formerly known as Shards Online
Life is Feudal: Closed beta
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
OrbusVR: Closed beta events
Origins of Malu: Development moving forward on battleground experience, MMO suspended
Osiris: New Dawn: Early access
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
Project Genom: Closed alpha
Project Gorgon: Free, open testing
SamuTale: Closed alpha
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Stash: Backer alpha
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Culling: Early access testing
The Exiled: Early access; formerly Das Tal
The Repopulation: Closed alpha
TUG: Steam early access alpha
Valiance Online: Alpha testing
Wild Buster: Limited alpha testing
Wild Terra: Steam early access
Wild West Online: Early access alpha on November 15th
Worlds Adrift: Closed beta