Bluehole and Brendan “PlayerUnknown” Greene ought to be pretty pleased with themselves, and not just because they’re rolling around in piles of money: They also set seven Guinness World Records with PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, which still has yet to formally launch. According to the records body, the game now holds the titles for
- Fastest time to sell a million units on Steam early access (16 days)
- Fastest time to gross $100M on Steam early accces (79 days)
- First videogame to reach 2M concurrent players on Steam (well over that now)
- Most actively played game on Steam (2.6M concurrent last week)
- Most concurrent players for a Steam early access game
- Most concurrent players on Steam for a non-Valve video game
- First non-Valve video game to be the most played game on Steam.
Yeah, some of these are starting to seem a bit redundant, but hey, it’s the gamer’s edition, so they’re doomed to pedantry. Still, nice work if you can get it. And you can’t. You’ll have to position yourself at the global forefront of a dawning genre first. Good luck with that!