After what was nearly an interminable teaser stream, Bethsoft finally announced this morning that it’s working on Fallout 76, another entry in a beloved franchise and another chance to trot out retro-futurist Pip-Boy iconography. At first, I shrugged – it’s neat, and a lot of us will buy it, but seeing as how Fallout is traditionally a single-player sandbox RPG, it’s not something we’d normally cover.
But then the rumors started flying. Kotaku floated the claim that it’s an “online game of some sort.” Polygon said it “heard the game will feature multiplayer.” The Twitterverse is chirping about battle royale. Nobody seems to know (or be allowed to say) for sure, and barring leaks, it’ll be another week and change until Bethsoft spills its post-apoc can o’ beans. [Update: Kotaku has another piece out since this one went live, with anonymous sources claiming it’s an online post-apoc survival game a la RUST and DayZ.]
So why not speculate? What type of multiplayer do you think Fallout 76 will have? Are you spotting any clues in the trailer? Place your bets – and yes, you get multiple choices here.
Leaderboard: What type of multiplayer do you think Fallout 76 will have?
- Full-fledged traditional MMORPG (14%, 47 Votes)
- Battle royale - say, with 76 people (10%, 33 Votes)
- Always-online optional co-op (24%, 81 Votes)
- Multiplayer shooter PvP (4%, 14 Votes)
- Optional multiplayer shooter (4%, 13 Votes)
- Builder-centric co-op hybrid a la Fortnite PvE (16%, 54 Votes)
- Sea of Thieves-style co-op open PvP (3%, 11 Votes)
- GTAO-style hybrid addon (5%, 16 Votes)
- MOBAing like it's 2012 (0%, 1 Votes)
- Some other sort of MMORPG hybrid (8%, 27 Votes)
- Something else - tell us in the comments! (3%, 11 Votes)
- No response / just view tally (9%, 32 Votes)
Total Voters: 254
"When the fighting has stopped, and the fallout has settled…"
— Fallout (@Fallout) May 30, 2018
(Thanks to everyone who suggested this!)