Hi-Rez is basically maintenance-moding Hand of the Gods

Back in May, we covered the bizarre silence surrounding Hi-Rez’s SMITE-infused free-to-play online card game Hand of the Gods. At the time, the information and update flow had┬ácompletely and dramatically stopped; Hi-Rez was refusing to communicate with the community or the press about the fate of the title, causing players on Reddit and Discord to suspect the game was dead.

As it turns out, it’s not dead, but it’s as close as it gets. Just over a week ago, Hi-Rez president Stewart Chisam finally responded to player inquiries on Twitter.

“We have been working on and off on a nice bug fix patch to come out sometime soon,” he writes. “But no major content updates on the schedule. Servers will stay up as long as we have enough people wanting to play.”

I’d like to say that the game’s subreddit is filling up with farewells, but there are just a few, which probably won’t come as a surprise. Even an attempt at a postmortem hasn’t gotten much traction; players argue that stiff competition, marketing, balance, system requirements, bugs, and the mobile version were all factors in the game’s poor reception.

Source: Twitter

Inline Feedbacks
Mark
3 years ago

Hi-Rez kinda does this a lot.

Kickstarter Donor
Scratches
Reply to  Mark

“This is too hard, let’s do something else…” is the general feel I get from this studio.
As a result, I’ve refused to touch anything they create ever since they gave up on Tribes….

velimirius

Hi-Rez aka Me-Too

Indigo Salma
3 years ago

They released this kind of game in an already oversaturated market. I know its business and they want to make money but come up with something different for once.

Loyal Patron
Patreon Donor
Armsbend
Reply to  Indigo Salma

They were attempting to copy Duelyst – which isn’t like any other TCG I’ve ever played – and is still chugging along.

Mikka Hansen
3 years ago

Hi-Rez leaving one of their games for dead? Shocked! Im shocked!

Danny Smith
3 years ago

Its pretty clear a bunch of devs thought Hearthstone was the next fad after mobas but so many seem to forget so many big hits make it because they are existing ips with worlds of material. A card game based on a moba? maybe not the best groundwork.

Utakata
3 years ago

Maintenance mode…where the parrot isn’t made dead, just laid to rest! o.O

Sorenthaz
3 years ago

Not surprising at all. The game probably wasn’t turning in enough profit and they’ve been getting only a few hundred players at best, double digits on average.

Nathan Aldana
3 years ago

here is my shocked face.

Pepperzine
Pepperzine
3 years ago

It seems like a lot of these TCG are running into difficulties gaining support. I guess they underestimated the staying power of hearthstone which appears to still be killing it. In the end they are mostly wasting funding and developer time trying to get on a gravy train they never will get access to.

Nathan Aldana
Reply to  Pepperzine

Thats the case with a lot of genres that AAA studios try to me too into. battle royale, MOBA, team shooters, even MMOs to a degree at one point. For the most part if you’re the second one to market, the market share is already gone, outliers like fortnite notwithstanding.

Pepperzine
Pepperzine
Reply to  Nathan Aldana

I agree. What makes it even harder for TCG is that they rely on people collecting cards to create decks and to collect cards you need to either grind or pay money. I had tried out the Elder Scrolls card game only to uninstall it within 2 days. It’s not that it’s bad, it’s just I don’t want to be bothered with collecting cards all over again when I can just play hearthstone where I have a large set of cards already to build decks with.