Ashes of Creation Apocalypse, the MMORPG’s battle royale mode, launches December 18

Over the course of the fall, Ashes of Creation developer Intrepid Studios has been testing a battle royale mode component for the Kickstarted full-scale MMORPG. Devs have maintained over the last few months that the mode may not make it into the game and was primarily there to test PvP, at least up until November, when Intrepid put a name on the alpha one phase mode: Apocalypse. The free-to-play mode will effectively “move the battle royale, the castle sieges, and the horde mode into a side arena that will be playable by everyone” with participation achievements and cosmetics that transfer in the base MMORPG.

Now, Intrepid has put a date on Apocalypse too: December 18th.

Ashes of Creation Apocalypse, a new competitive and cooperative multiplayer game linked directly to the world of Ashes of Creation, will launch in open beta for free on Dec. 18 for Windows PC. Pitting 100s of players at a time against each other in a massive world of high fantasy and all-out warfare, Ashes of Creation Apocalypse builds upon and refines many of the core systems at the heart of Ashes of Creation while letting players experience its stunning action and visuals right away. Ashes of Creation Apocalypse delivers a self-contained, standalone experience for fans of competitive action, combat, and chaos. The game will launch with a full-fledged battle royale mode in which 100 players will duke it out with destructive weapons and magic until the last person is left standing. After release, new unique modes will be introduced, letting 200 players join forces in massive castle siege battles, as well as co-op horde mode missions in which small groups must fight off ravenous hordes of vicious demons.”

The press release out tonight stresses that the battle royale component is a “precursor” to the Ashes of Creation MMORPG that gamers Kickstarted for over $3M in 2017.

It’s been a bit of an odd year for Ashes as it winds through its pre-alpha. Not only has it weathered criticism over this battle royale mode, but it took heat for its decision to partner with My.com for European publishing. However, we tried the game out at PAX and found its combat “surprisingly solid,” so it’s definitely still a big MMORPG to watch.

Source: Press release, landing page

Inline Feedbacks
roottap
3 years ago

Ashes of Creation Post Live Stream Discord Q & A Explaining overlay of apocalypse to the MMO Open beta December 18 https://youtu.be/M3y46nf6XD8

3 years ago

Monetisation talks here at 34 minutes – a shop and purchase ”legendary season pass” to earn cosemetics

or auto text of stream. that was at about 34m

Easy Rider
Easy Rider
3 years ago

As it’s completely free and cosmetics are not obligatory to buy, I will try it. It’s gonna have the same mechanics as the MMO, so the players feedback on this stage might really help the devs to develop the game and fix the existing issues.

3 years ago

I do not think I am fully following this ”mode” / game.
This is a permanent game or is it more of a pvp testing ground but poured into a game so they can at release blend all of this in the actual mmo?

Then my second question: if this is a permanent standalone … will there be castle sieges and etc in the actual mmo? as gave my money for the full fledged mmo with sieges and etc and not for a mmo with a f2p pvp mode.

3 years ago

Flying mounts? Really?! God damnit.

BDJ

RIP Ashes of Creation.

Had to file a dispute with PayPal to get a refund for my preorder. Intrepid wouldn’t even respond to my emails.

Reply to  BDJ

Lesson: Don’t preorder anything anymore. Wait for the game to officially launch to decide if it’s worth it. More than half the stuff that are available for preorder turn out to be garbage.

Mr.McSleaz
Reply to

But the Milestones were pretty cool & I wanted the cape, lol.

Baemir
3 years ago

Has this strategy ever worked?

Sorenthaz
Reply to  Baemir

Depends I guess. Daybreak it obviously didn’t as BR became the money maker and ‘Just Survive’ never kicked off. Fortnite BR is significantly more successful than Save the World but it’s still getting updates and doesn’t seem to be slowing down.

Only other game I can think of that did something similar was The Repopulation with Fragmented and The Repopulation is still getting updates nowadays while Fragmented got abandoned.

So kind of not really, but there’s too small of a sample size to really apply it to every game that tries this. Right now it’s like 2-3 games that have done this.

Mr.McSleaz
3 years ago

These scammers took my money for Full-Fledged,Subscription based MMO & made a damned Battle Royal game instead.

Sorenthaz
Reply to  Mr.McSleaz

Might’ve missed the emails where they said they’ll be focusing on the PvP/combat for Alpha 1 and then Alpha 2 will be in early-mid 2019 which focuses on the MMO systems.

Rick Mills
Reply to  Sorenthaz

I don’t believe they mentioned a Battle Royal mode when I contributed – if they did I would’ve taken that into consideration.

Sorenthaz
Reply to  Rick Mills

The logic makes enough sense for it and it’s basically free advertisement/testing for the MMO. As long as they’re still getting Alpha 2 out in a timely manner no one will care in the long run.

Xijit
Kickstarter Donor
Xijit
Reply to  Sorenthaz

Be reasonable: you know that the MMO side of things now has got about as much of a rats ass of a chance of becoming the main focus of the game as H1Z1 did after Dey-break-games ripped it out and renamed it “Just survive.”

Best this game is going to see now for a MMO mode is probably going to be a lobby based Mission mode that is just enough of a MMO to get them out of being sued for not delivering on the Kickstarter.

Sorenthaz
Reply to  Xijit

They’ve done nothing to show otherwise beyond turning the Alpha 1 PvP-centric test into a more open form format that allows everyone to come in and try it out.

I get that that’s been the trend with Daybreak/Epic but they’re not going to piss on their customers/backers just to make a quick buck off of BR.

If we’re halfway into 2019 and still no sight of Alpha 2, then yeah that’s reason to be worried. But until then, it’s a win-win for them and as long as it doesn’t hinder the progress of the MMO no one will care in the long run.

Mr.McSleaz
Reply to  Sorenthaz

That wasn’t the story when they were asking for money on kickstarter.

BDJ
Reply to  Sorenthaz

You are gullible as ALL FUCK if you think that they are still going to launch AoC as an MMO. They have went full blown cash grab. Ray Charles could see it. I don’t know how you can’t.

Kickstarter Donor
Vunak23
Reply to  BDJ

You do realize the guy that is funding the game could careless about making a quick buck. The guy is loaded. Ashes of Creation MMORPG is a passion project for him.

Crowe
Reply to  Vunak23

I think he’s a bit oblivious as to how he’s alienated so many backers. I was really looking forward to it and shelled out for one of the packs with a lifetime sub. But more and more I’m thinking that this was a mistake. I’m hoping I’m wrong but I no longer have any sort of “blind faith” in him/them.

Mr.McSleaz
Reply to  Vunak23

“The guy is loaded”

I’ve never heard of anyone who was Rich & didn’t want to be More Rich. It’s called Greed.

How did he get “Loaded” by the way, was it by some Pseudo Pyramid-Scheme?

Harbinger_Kyleran
Harbinger_Kyleran
Reply to  Mr.McSleaz

Multi Level Marketing of a “health food” drink of very questionable value.

What could go wrong?

;)

Frank White
Reply to  Mr.McSleaz

I don’t see anything yet to convince me that the MMO has been abandoned. You guys are really just jumping to conclusions, based on the fact that two or three other games let you down in the past. Relax and take a deep breath and curb your cynicism. :)