The state of play for Project Genom appears to be a tear-down and rebuild. After a long period of silence the game announced that it was shutting down its servers as part of integrating with SpatialOS… but that has also been followed by a long period of silence. So we might just get the tear-down part, which is sort of a downer ending.
All right, let’s move on to other beta news, shall we? That should be more uplifting.
- To the likely surprise of absolutely no one, PlanetSide Arena is delaying its early access until the end of March, so it’s not happening before the end of the month. As mentioned, this is probably not the surprise of the week.
- The testing for Ashes of Creation: Apocalypse is also not the surprise of the week, because it was announced well in advance. Play freely until January 27th! Enjoy a battle royale spinoff for a little while! You know how it is. The studio behind the game has also nabbed a community manager from Daybreak.
- Similarly to the previous points, Anthem has kicked off its weekend demo, and you know what? It’s not a surprise! This was all expected! You could even pre-download it, although given that it’s for those who pre-ordered the game it seems like the domain of those who plan ahead.
- All right, the plans for The Repopulation may qualify as a surprise of sorts. Certainly they weren’t well-known before? They’re milestones for 2019, that’s the important part.
- Last but not least, Guardians of Ember is getting another shot at the big time after all. That one might be surprising!
So, not so much in the surprise scale, but not to the point of playing a Radiohead song. There are few surprises down in our list of games in testing, but maybe you could surprise us with the heretofore unknown fact that one of these games has shifted status unexpectedly. Let us know if that’s the case! It’s a good sort of surprise.
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Open beta
Anthem: Pre-order beta
Ashes of Creation: Alpha one; battle royale spinoff holding test weekends
Camelot Unchained: Closed beta (one)
Children of Ur: Open alpha
Citadel: Forged with Fire: Early access
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
Dauntless: Open beta
Dark and Light: Early access
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Division 2: Alpha
Dual Universe: Alpha
ECO: Early access
Edengrad: Early access
Eleven: Closed alpha
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Gloria Victis: Early access on Steam
Global Adventures: Closed beta
Legends of Aria: Early access
Life is Feudal: Early access
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
Occupy White Walls: Early access
OrbusVR: Early access beta
Osiris: New Dawn: Early access
Pantheon: Backer pre-alpha
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
PixARK: Early access
Project Genom: Closed alpha, servers offline for restructuring with SpatialOS
Project Gorgon: Early access beta
Prosperous Universe: Early access
Rend: Early access
SamuTale: Closed alpha
Ship of Heroes: Pre-alpha
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Starmourn: Open beta
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Cycle: Alpha
The Repopulation: Early access alpha
Torchlight Frontiers: Closed alpha
Valiance Online: Alpha
Wild Terra: Steam early access
Worlds Adrift: Early access