In the last couple of weeks, we’ve been posting what seems like an endless list of bad news from gaming companies insofar as their performance in 2018. From Activision-Blizzard and EA to Square-Enix and Take-Two, these companies have taken major stock hits after their results, even good results, are posted – in some cases, even before.
In fact, GIbiz just penned a piece summing up the state of the industry and seeking a reason behind the tumble. Fortnite, Rob Fahey writes, might account for some of the financial results at studios that are not Epic Games, but certainly not all (he even points out that investors had the same panic about World of Warcraft once, but that in end, “WoW’s success grew the industry rather than eating everyone else’s lunch, and Fortnite is likely to do much the same”). It doesn’t account for the stock drops for platforms like Sony and Nintendo, though, where Fortnite is actually being played. Let’s be blunt: Fahey argues there’s a “certain derangement around games as a sector, which vastly magnifies risk and overreacts to bad news,” irrespective of ebbs and flows in the market beyond games.
I thought it’d be interesting to take the MMO community’s pulse on the health of the games market. Are you concerned over all the stock swings, and has it actually affected the way you invest in game companies – if you do? To the polls! And remember, some of the poll options are mutually inclusive, so we’ve given everybody multiple votes.
Leaderboard: Are you concerned about the health of the games market right now?
- Very concerned. (10%, 31 Votes)
- Mildly concerned. (16%, 47 Votes)
- Not particularly concerned. (18%, 53 Votes)
- Not at all concerned. (19%, 56 Votes)
- I've reduced my financial investment in the games sector. Sell sell sell. (1%, 3 Votes)
- I've increased my financial investment in the games sector. Buy buy buy. (1%, 3 Votes)
- My financial investments were never in the games sector. (17%, 51 Votes)
- I'm out of the market entirely right now. (2%, 5 Votes)
- Watching and waiting to see how things shake out. (6%, 17 Votes)
- Something else (tell us in the comments). (3%, 9 Votes)
- No response / elf butts / view tallies. (9%, 27 Votes)
Total Voters: 249