Daybreak’s Friday-night revelation that it is delaying PlanetSide Arena to summer made me worried. Actually, the revelation that the company would be refunding everyone who’d preordered made me the most worried. Daybreak refunding folks? Landmark fans would have a hard time believing it, right? My first thought was that the delay was so long, without money, that it was probably already over.
But not so fast. Some readers pointed out that Daybreak’s preorder playerbase wasn’t even coming close to capping the planned massive server size in beta, thanks presumably to the sudden release and popularity of Apex Legends. It’s more likely that Daybreak figured its chances as a buy-to-play title against Apex were poor and that by summer its outlook will be much improved, especially if the game is free-to-play at launch as rumored and is buoyed by its now-simultaneous PS4 launch. In fact, there are folks on Reddit debating whether this may actually save the game, giving the studio a half a year to make it something great.
And in that context, I definitely think there’s less cause for alarm. But then maybe I’m Charlie Brown giving Lucy one last go holding the football. How about you? How worried are you for PlanetSide Arena and Daybreak right now?
Leaderboard: How worried are you for PlanetSide Arena and Daybreak right now?
- Not at all worried. They got this. (6%, 17 Votes)
- Worried, but not more worried than I was before. (11%, 32 Votes)
- Worried for the game but not the company. (6%, 18 Votes)
- Worried for the company but not the game. (6%, 18 Votes)
- Doesn't really matter as long as H1Z1 PS4 does OK. (1%, 2 Votes)
- Yeah they're in big trouble. Super worried. (16%, 48 Votes)
- My only interest remains the EverQuest franchise anyway. (24%, 70 Votes)
- Honestly don't care to begin with. (21%, 62 Votes)
- I have no idea what to think. (3%, 8 Votes)
- No opinion / view tally / mech butts. (7%, 20 Votes)
Total Voters: 260