The issue of who controls MMO game subreddits is one that’s just kept recurring over the years, at least as far back as when studios like Daybreak and Funcom began using theirs as a stand-in for official forums. Both studios have ended that practice, for what that’s worth, but others have taken flak for direct and indirect involvement. Given some of the disinfo dumpster fires currently raging on some MMO subs, it’s no wonder that studios try to shape those communities, but it can easily spiral out of control.
Pantheon recently made a bold move along these lines: The Visionary Realms community manager who helmed and grew that game’s subreddit hung up his hat, returning the sub to the community voluntarily: “I handed it back to the mods a few days ago and removed the remaining two VR staff members and then myself after leaving a little message of thanks and encouragement to the remaining mods.” Color me impressed.
What do you think: Should MMO studios be involved in their respective subreddits, and if so, how much?
Leaderboard: Should MMO studios be involved in their respective subreddits?
- Studio reps should have absolutely no involvement on Reddit at all. (5%, 26 Votes)
- Studio reps should visit Reddit to communicate but not mod. (47%, 234 Votes)
- Studio reps are fine modding their own Reddit. (3%, 15 Votes)
- Studio reps are fine modding their own Reddit but only if no one else wants the job. (3%, 17 Votes)
- Studio reps should make use of Reddit for AMA and feedback only for major design changes. (8%, 39 Votes)
- Studio reps should make use of Reddit for AMA sessions but nothing else. (3%, 13 Votes)
- Studio reps should be aware of Reddit as a part of player feedback, regardless of moderation. (18%, 88 Votes)
- Studio reps should not take Reddit feedback into account, as Reddit communities are isolated pockets. (1%, 7 Votes)
- Don't care who runs sub as long as we can say whatever we want. (3%, 16 Votes)
- Don't care who runs a sub as long as somebody keeps it cleaned up. (4%, 19 Votes)
- I hate Reddit anyway so I don't care who runs the subs. (2%, 12 Votes)
- Something else (tell us in the comments) (0%, 0 Votes)
- No opinion / view tally / elf buffs (2%, 9 Votes)
Total Voters: 317