Here’s the news that has had our staff chat in a tizzy this week: The Elder Scrolls Blades is now in early access on mobile devices. Earlier than expected, even, barring that delay from the fall! It’s not just early access; it’s the earliest access. You have always played this game. It exists outside of space and time.
Of course, it’s monetized like a free-to-play mobile game, so if you can’t stand paying to unlock dungeon chests, you’re not gonna love this.
With that on our mind, let’s talk about other beta news, shall we?
- Wait, nope, we’re not talking about more beta news because MU Origin 2 is now in closed beta and the title is destroying my mind. This doesn’t make sense. How can you have the second origin? Was the first not original enough? I’m out.
- Fine. All right, let’s try again. OrbusVR: Reborn is hosting an open beta this weekend! That’s good. That doesn’t even require you to buy the game, just… well, owning a VR headset. That’s still good. Nothing baffling!
- Wait, no, we’re into problems again with Spycursion. It’s an indie MMO that went to Kickstarter and didn’t make its goal, but game development will continue despite that fact. Good news for fans, but it does make the “looking for funding” part feel a bit baffling.
- It’s also rather baffling that Star Citizen took this long to include ladies in this character creation, but the point is that they’re here now. And you can see what they’ll look like! So that’s good.
- Last but not least, it looks like Secret World Legends is… getting a spin-off separate horror game with new storytelling. Wasn’t the whole point of the reboot to add more story?
Yeah, at this point I’m just throwing up my hands. You can still check out our list of games in testing down below, though; in fact, you should if you know we missed something or if something skipped test phases without us noticing. We appreciate the notifications!
As always, we consider an MMO to be in open testing if it features free, public signups and will server wipe prior to launch. An MMO is marked in closed testing if it’s running a private test phase that cannot freely be accessed by the general public; it’s usually under NDA as well. Early access and crowdfunded MMOs whose tests we deem legitimate will be included. So-called “open beta” soft-launch MMOs with cash shops, no sign of launch in the west, or limited interest for our readers will not be listed; we also do not list expansions, with occasional exceptions.
AdventureQuest 3D: Open beta
Ashes of Creation: Alpha one phase one
Camelot Unchained: Closed beta one
Children of Ur: Open alpha, further development merged with Eleven
Chronicles of Elyria: Pre-alpha
Citadel: Forged with Fire: Early access
Crowfall: Backer pre-alpha
Cube World: Closed alpha
Dauntless: Open beta
Dark and Light: Early access
DayZ: Early access
Divergence Online: Alpha
Dual Universe: Alpha
ECO: Early access
Edengrad: Early access
Eleven: Closed alpha
Ever, Jane: Open beta
Kurtzpel: Closed beta
Gloria Victis: Early access on Steam
Global Adventures: Closed beta
Guardians of Ember: Open beta
Legends of Aria: Early access
Life is Feudal: Early access
Line of Defense: Early access, removed from Steam
New World: Closed alpha
Occupy White Walls: Early access
OrbusVR: Early access beta
Osiris: New Dawn: Early access
Outlaws of the Old West: Early access
Pantheon: Backer pre-alpha
Pathfinder Online: Subscription “early enrollment”
PixARK: Early access
Project Genom: Closed alpha, servers offline for restructuring with SpatialOS
Project Gorgon: Early access beta
Prosperous Universe: Early access
Rend: Early access
SamuTale: Closed alpha
Ship of Heroes: Pre-alpha
Star Citizen: Backer alpha
Starmourn: Open beta
The Black Death: Early access alpha
The Cycle: Alpha
The Repopulation: Early access alpha
Torchlight Frontiers: Closed alpha, no NDA
Valiance Online: Alpha
Worlds Adrift: Early access